What's new

Polk RM-7200 vs ? (1 Viewer)

SteveCH

Auditioning
Hi there. This is my first post so bear with me. I recently bought the Polks from CC, as an open box, for $680. Although I like the speakers for movies, I am not sure about the sub. I am a newbie to subs and this one has some noises that concern me. Even with the volume of the sub at half, it seems to be overdriven fairly easily. It will start to rattle loudly until I turn the bass input to flat & loudness off. I toggle on the loudness during movies and off with cd's and such to give the sound I like. When I forget to turn off the loudness is when I have the most problem.

There is also a slight rattle that is audible when I turn the mains off and just listen to the sub. It appears to coincide with the speaker movement. Not really noticeable with the mains on.

Sound of the rest of the system seems ok for movies, though I alternate between being satisfied and then NOT satisfied with music on them.

I can still return the set thanks to the 30 day stuff at CC. Is there a better system (wife wants small) for the money? Example: I see that CC is sale pricing the Infinity HTS-20 system for $300, with a 12-in sub, with many favorable reviews on their site.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That certainly was a great deal, Steve – more than half off list!

The problem is, Polk subs are the bottom feeders of subs – low-powered, small diameter drivers. Yours for instance, 8” @100 watts. That’s good for maybe a “bedroom theater,” but if you have it out in the family room, fuhgetaboutit.

The Infinity set is not nearly the bargain the Polks were. Looking at the specs it appears the Polks have a better tweeter, for on thing, so I wouldn’t expect them to sound as good overall as the Polks. The Infinity sub might be marginally better, but once again, if you’re using this in a large room, a 150-watt 10” won’t cut it either.

If you have a large room, nothing but a large sub will get the job done – sorry.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SteveCH

Auditioning
Thanks Wayne,

It is a med-large room, 12x24. This system is to allow my wife to get her entertainment center and remove my rather large :D front loaded 15 inch woofers with high & mid horns.:frowning:

I just listened to the sub again. I had the volume of my old reliable h/k avr25II at half, flat, without loudness, and the poor sub was rattling it's guts out. I'm using the pre-outs of the h/k to the sub.

Bad sub or bad expectations?

One thought I had, if the Infinty sats are decent, using the left-over funds for a hsu or svs sub.

Thanks again,
Steve

SteveCH

Auditioning
Wayne,
I've talked to Polk today....they don't believe this is normal, maybe a bad woofer. They want me to remove it and play it and listen for the rattle. Not done that yet, other things are pressing me. It's getting real close to being returned.

What size mininum sub/power would you recommend?

Thanks again,
Steve

Adil M

Supporting Actor
That Polk package is a really good deal.
I hope you don't return it, but work w/ Polk on the sub.
Or you could trust CC to fix it?!
It's a better deal then the Infinities you are looking at.
I second that the subs by Polk are pretty garbage (say it like a French person.)

SteveCH

Auditioning
Adil, I agree, it is a good deal. But if the room is to latge for the sub to even be an option, it may not be. Other problem.....if I work with Polk to fix it, I may be out of my 30 day return window if I'm still not happy with them.

The Polks do look awesome, with the finish they have. I wonder how much the MSRP is because of the finsh, as opposed to the guts of the speaker. Just a thought.

I've no doubt the Infinities are not up to the Polks in quality. Again, if any one has some comparable systems, I'm all ears!

Thanks again,
Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sorry, I’ve never seen a receiver that would switch A/B speakers by remote.

I’d keep the Polks and look towards getting a better sub. Shoot, for what you saved on them it will take you a long way towards another one.

Given the dimensions you mentioned, and assuming that you don’t have this room opening up to other areas of the house, a decent-quality 12” like the Adire Rava should do the trick. When you get ready to buy open a thread for recommendations and the folks here will have plenty of options for you.

Maybe you could sell the Polk sub on eBay or something.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SteveCH

Auditioning

Maybe a different thread?;)

Thanks for your help, Wayne.

Next step is to take the sub back and compare it to their display model. If it's better I may be able to get them to swap it for mine. Maybe this weekend!!

Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yup, cut and paste glitch. I guess I need to start paying more attention to what’s in the box before I hit the “Submit” button! :b

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Wayne, with all the outstanding advice you give everyone around here :emoji_thumbsup: , we will gladly forgive a little "quote" boo-boo now and then!

SteveCH

Auditioning
Wanye,

I agree with your statement about the polk subs. Not the greatest. I just went back to CC and compared my sub to the floor model. It farts the same as mine....I guess it's the nature of the beast. Listened to some other sats, cheaper ones, and realize that the Polk sats aren't too bad. Highs are soft, not shrill, like the Infinity ??750s. Don't remember the exact model. It's sub had an internal rattle that sounded horible.

We tried some other present models of polk subs, up to 12 in, and they weren't much tighter than mine. They did have last years model of velodyne 12 inch, 170 watts, it sounded much better. Salesman thought the new models don't sound as good as the older one. I didn't hear the new model.

I guess I will save my pennies for a better sub and stop whining.

Thanks for your time guys,

Steve

SteveCH

Auditioning
BTW Wayne,

Don't know what thread you were responding to, but I'm trying out an Onkyo tx-sr502 6.1 receiver, and it DOES allow A-B speaker switching from the remote.

Adil, thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that review on the RM 7200. He di seem to like them. Maybe if he could have paid what I did, it may have made a difference!

As mentioned, I am trying the Onkyo receiver. THe sub does seem to sound better with this set-up. I can use the sub out and use the mangement to cut the higher frequencies to the sub. The Onkyo definitely is a different sound the the ol H/K avr25II!!

I'm still playin' and learnin'.

Thnaks again,
Steve

Ty_N

Auditioning
Steve, return the Polks you got and go to Fry's and get the same ones NEW for $599, it's in today's ad in Las Vegas.

SteveCH

Auditioning
Ty,
We don't have any Fry's close to us. I couldn't find anything on their site,(can't mrntion the site) , that has the polks listed.

If you can post a link to it i would apprediate it.

Steve

Ty_N

Auditioning
Steve,

Fry's online is something else altogether. When it has a sale, other franchises have it too. Here in Vegas, my local Fry's has a few units left. I got my set, can't wait to set it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks