What's new

Polk FXI A4 - rear placement (odd shape?) (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi all,
Looking at upgrading some Monitor 30 speakers I use for my rear speakers in my 5.1 setup.

I'm looking for something that will really fill the room nicely. I like the 30s, but I don't think they really fill my room. They're loud, but I have to have them pointing right at me...

I was looking into some replacements, and found the FXI A4. Supposedly these are better suited to fill a room.

Room = 10 x 19.

My question is, how do I place these? They have three sides to them, not 4.... What is confusing me is that you mount the flat side to the wall... and the other 2 sides have tweeter/woofers.

Here's a link to the picture/description
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/fxia4

This might help to understand my room.
room.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your front 60 are too close together.Since you oriented the room wide, not long, bi/di-pole won't work.Can you hang the 30s from the ceiling? Across from each other is your only option with the room layout.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
The 60s (actually 50s...) are about 6' away from each other.

Okay- so my only option really is to keep the 30s? My ceilings are like 14' in this room....

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Front channel around 7-8'.

I don't want to mount anything on the ceiling for a few reasons - 1: running the wires... 2: the wife... :)

So it is fair to say the A4s, aren't going to benefit me in any way, right? I should stick w/ the m30?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I see. I have them mounted currently - about 6' high. I could move them up, but won't I lose the effects? I mean shouldn't they be about ear level when sitting?

In the future when I want to upgrade- is there something I should look for?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ear level would have been 4-ish feet. And assumes a proper speaker placement.You chose to do the room wide, not long, ergo...you threw proper placement out the window.Moving them up the wall, angled at opposite ends of the front of the couch gives them a chance at proper coverage.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I'm not sure I understand.

I can move them up to say 10'... But not 100% sure I understand what you mean about angling them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, the 4/5 speakers should have 25-30 degrees to your rear. Not straight out.I will add to the sentiment, if your AVR supports height/width...utilize it.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
My AVR = Sony STRDH520 (7.1).

I can't really move the speakers around too much in this room.

I'm not really sure what the best option for me is... I could add another 2 speakers to complete the 7.1.

I have two unused Polk OWM3 speakers. I was originally thinking I could mount the directly over the couch (main seating area) pointing downward...

The other option would be to use these as front high speakers.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I don't usually use any processing, but would you recommend using it?

I'm not sure the best way to move forward.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't have the layout for 7.1.You do for height and width, but your AVR only gives you the choice of height.I use both and another thread responder said to try it.What's the harm...?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Okay, so in order to use the front highs, I must use llz?

I always leave the receive set to AFD AUTO... so I'm not really sure how or what I need to do in order to get the front highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks