What's new

Police Story 1973 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I've barely made it through a disc from each set, so there is plenty of time for me to flip flop in my assessments. I love Kojak and was thrilled to see Shout pick up the series. I will still be up for more seasons of it (but will be passing on the later movies) because I have fond memories of re-discovering the show on vacation in the late 90s- and getting hooked on it. I haven't been able to see it again since. PS just caught me off guard. The downbeat endings combined with the anthology nature make it seem refreshing to me when viewed in a context of the more formula cop shows from that era. I also haven't watched much network stuff since the early 80s- so HSB, NYPD Blue, Law & Order etc, and the rest are not my frame of reference. I should also say that, despite my criticism of Spellings stuff, I have quite a bit of it on my shelves. I regard much of it as crap now, but it's slickly produced (crap), and sometimes it fits the bill-just like fast food.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Has Police Story: Season One sold well since it was released nearly three months ago?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It would be nice to see more of police story released in 2012. I have S1 and enjoy the episodes. I was too young to remember the show as a kid, so watching it now is like watching it for the first time. I am huge crime, spy and mafia TV show buff. I have many shows from the aformentioned genre.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Cops have messed up lives; we get it. But we also get this is an excellent 'random play' mix-tape of storylines and a calvacade of faces of TV stars from the 60s and 70s. Altogether a most worth-while re-watch. The lack of formula and one continuing lead is what makes it so appealing.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Paul_Scott said:
I've barely made it through a disc from each set, so there is plenty of time for me to flip flop in my assessments. I love Kojak and was thrilled to see Shout pick up the series. I will still be up for more seasons of it (but will be passing on the later movies) because I have fond memories of re-discovering the show on vacation in the late 90s- and getting hooked on it. I haven't been able to see it again since. PS just caught me off guard. The downbeat endings combined with the anthology nature make it seem refreshing to me when viewed in a context of the more formula cop shows from that era. I also haven't watched much network stuff since the early 80s- so HSB, NYPD Blue, Law & Order etc, and the rest are not my frame of reference. I should also say that, despite my criticism of Spellings stuff, I have quite a bit of it on my shelves. I regard much of it as crap now, but it's slickly produced (crap), and sometimes it fits the bill-just like fast food.
Spelling goody stuff is very much so-so material and usually upbeat endings, but then again, most cop shows now as far as I can tell are downbeat and where's any fun in that formula alone. It's almost like audiences today don't accept smiling cops, for some reason drama must be gritty these days mostly. I'm watching Spelling's first season of The Rookies right now, while it's entertaining enough it's nothing earth-shattering or realistic but it's not outright terrible either, so I'm looking forward to Shout!Factory continuing it soon.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
HenryDuBrow said:
Spelling goody stuff is very much so-so material and usually upbeat endings, but then again, most cop shows now as far as I can tell are downbeat and where's any fun in that formula alone. It's almost like audiences today don't accept smiling cops, for some reason drama must be gritty these days mostly. I'm watching Spelling's first season of The Rookies right now, while it's entertaining enough it's nothing earth-shattering or realistic but it's not outright terrible either, so I'm looking forward to Shout!Factory continuing it soon.
I'm looking forward to it as well but not because its a great show but mostly because of Kate Jackson.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Cops have messed up lives; we get it. But we also get this is an excellent 'random play' mix-tape of storylines and a calvacade of faces of TV stars from the 60s and 70s. Altogether a most worth-while re-watch. The lack of formula and one continuing lead is what makes it so appealing.
I have to say that as I've been watching these I've also been watching Medical Story, which reran in a few places in the 80s. I like that show even better. Just as many good guest stars, same anthology format, very interesting storylines. I can see though why it didn't catch on as it really tended to be downbeat and rather depressing. Also, I don't thing people are bothered as much by seeing cops with problems and messed up lives as they are doctors. But I tend to find medical shows more interesting than cop shows anyway.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
I have to say that as I've been watching these I've also been watching Medical Story, which reran in a few places in the 80s. I like that show even better. Just as many good guest stars, same anthology format, very interesting storylines. I can see though why it didn't catch on as it really tended to be downbeat and rather depressing. Also, I don't thing people are bothered as much by seeing cops with problems and messed up lives as they are doctors. But I tend to find medical shows more interesting than cop shows anyway.
I like police story, because the episodes are self contained and deal with a wide range of cases. The allstar cast of actor also makes this show appealling. I hope 2012 means there will be another season of police story.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I wish this show could get another season or so released. I doubt SHOUT has licensing rights to it any longer, but I wish they would go back to SONY and get more seasons of POLICE STORY and POLICE WOMAN. I love Police Woman a lot. I just wish they could have released full series sets for both of these shows. I know it has been years since their last DVD releases, but I'd think sales were decent enough to maybe get out a season every few years.

I hope SHOUT considers them an option from SONY in the future.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I don't think either brought in the $ they were expecting. I gave up and got S3 & 4 of POLICE WOMAN elsewhere. The other thing is, Sony hasn't bothered to remaster the last two seasons (as of about 4 years ago anyway) as they look as bad as the UHF reruns of the early '80s. IMO the show really started to slide at this point, too. There are some real stinker episodes among the last two years.

cap1.jpg

cap5.jpg

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
They (Sony) have a (dead?) MOD program they ought to use more, titles like these would be good candidates.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
HenryDuBrow said:
They (Sony) have a (dead?) MOD program they ought to use more, titles like these would be good candidates.
I agree but they seem to use it more for films than TV shows. Charlie's Angels, Bridget Loves Bernie, Party of Five, Rules of Engagement and The Big C are the only series I've seen from their MOD program.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Actually "Ghost Story/Circle of Fear" and "Born Free" came from their MOD program too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks