What's new

Police Story 1973 (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Good to know about Adam-12. We have in the past seen information that Ironside S5 would be released this year (usually in the form of e-mail replies to others who had wrote to inquire) so I hope that is not something in danger of not appearing. S5 is for me the last "key" season with the debut of Elizabeth Baur and also Barbara Hale's only appearance on the show.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Originally Posted by cliff mac

yes, we will finish Adam-12 because the sales are still strong.

Don't know about Ironside at this time.

Well that's great news about Adam-12 - I have been enjoying watching this series. A pity if Ironside isn't continued, but I understand the reasons why (and season sets are still coming out in Australia).

It's funny that a lot of great old US television shows that don't sell so well in the US (Ironside, McCloud, Big Valley) seem to do well in other countries. Looking forward to the continuation of Kojak by Shout and Police Story.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Cliff, any chance that we will see a complete series set for Dragnet? BTW: Thanks for putting the Jack Benny 2d Special clips on Dragnet 1970. I really wanted to see those.

Originally Posted by cliff mac

yes, we will finish Adam-12 because the sales are still strong.

Don't know about Ironside at this time.

cliff mac

Insider
No, I don't think so at this time.

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

Cliff, any chance that we will see a complete series set for Dragnet? BTW: Thanks for putting the Jack Benny 2d Special clips on Dragnet 1970. I really wanted to see those.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Sony, years ago, at the same time they put out Family, had Bridget Loves Bernie authored and ready to go. Any chance that could be picked up since all of the work has already been done? Also, the last 3 seasons of Family would be great too.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
This may be a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway:

When there are shows that sell well in one place but tank in others (there seem to be several that sell well in Australia or the UK but not here), why not release them non-region locked (I believe it's called "Region 0") but marketed only in the appropriate region? It'd make the collectors in other regions happy, and more to the point for the releasing company, pick up some extra sales and revenue.

I'm not egotistical enough to think I'm the only one brilliant enough to have thought of this, so I'm wondering why it isn't done.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

This may be a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway:

When there are shows that sell well in one place but tank in others (there seem to be several that sell well in Australia or the UK but not here), why not release them non-region locked (I believe it's called "Region 0") but marketed only in the appropriate region? It'd make the collectors in other regions happy, and more to the point for the releasing company, pick up some extra sales and revenue.

I'm not egotistical enough to think I'm the only one brilliant enough to have thought of this, so I'm wondering why it isn't done.

Sometimes the companies releasing these titles overseas are only allowed to produce them for their specific region.

Perhaps a more pertinent question is why people don't get players that are multiregion if you want to view these shows?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Getting a region free player isn't as easy or convenient for a lot of us. I have one, which I got simply so I could see the R4 McCloud S1 set and at long last see those episodes in their original 60 minute length. But that said, because of the space that machine takes up with my other equipment that I need for converting my VHS tapes to DVD, I've not been able to get a Blu-Ray player because if I did, then the region-free player would have to be disconnected.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Cliff may not be able to reply to everything here, so posting show questions and/or suggestions on their website's forum is probably the better option, even if they don't always answer they'll at least read it there.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Originally Posted by Jack P

Getting a region free player isn't as easy or convenient for a lot of us. I have one, which I got simply so I could see the R4 McCloud S1 set and at long last see those episodes in their original 60 minute length. But that said, because of the space that machine takes up with my other equipment that I need for converting my VHS tapes to DVD, I've not been able to get a Blu-Ray player because if I did, then the region-free player would have to be disconnected.

You could get a multi region Blu-Ray which would also play multi region dvd discs. That way you could save on space.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

Cliff may not be able to reply to everything here, so posting show questions and/or suggestions on their website's forum is probably the better option, even if they don't always answer they'll at least read it there.

Agreed, Henry. I know better than that myself and consequently have removed my post above asking about a particular show. It's just not fair to Cliff to bombard him with requests and questions. Hope others follow the advice.

Gary "have to admit this upcoming release of Police Story caught me totally off-guard" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Which is why its much more feasible to hack the region code on your existing DVD player.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

Agreed, Henry. I know better than that myself and consequently have removed my post above asking about a particular show. It's just not fair to Cliff to bombard him with requests and questions. Hope others follow the advice.

Gary "have to admit this upcoming release of Police Story caught me totally off-guard" O.

You could have given me 30 guesses as to what Sony show I would guess on Shout picking up and I wouldn't have said Police Story. Its a very good show and I hope I'm wrong but I can't see an almost 40 year old anthology show selling very well. I'm sure we could all come up with lists of Sony shows that have a much higher profile. What's next, Farmer's Daughter (I hope!)?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Which is why its much more feasible to hack the region code on your existing DVD player.

Except that there is no hack code on the Panasonic player I have for main recording purposes which is why I had to buy the Philips region-free in the first place.

I'm not too keen on hunting high and low for "region free Blu Ray" especially when I might run the risk of certain discs not playing on that machine that play fine on existing players. I'd rather spend the money on more regular DVD releases I like.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Except that there is no hack code on the Panasonic player I have for main recording purposes which is why I had to buy the Philips region-free in the first place.

I'm not too keen on hunting high and low for "region free Blu Ray" especially when I might run the risk of certain discs not playing on that machine that play fine on existing players. I'd rather spend the money on more regular DVD releases I like.

That's a good point about the hack codes. They will work on many players but not all and some brands, like Panasonic and some or most Pioneer models have no published hack codes that will work. That's why I bought a std chipped Pioneer player several years ago (lifetime warranty to play back any std region disc).

Regarding BR, they're catching up with std chipped player technology. Now there are players available that will play all regions for std and br discs, as well as being firmware upgradeable for periodic BR updates. The players that I looked at this week have the lifetime warranty that covers the modifications. Recent models are now including the internal PAL/NTSC Converters.

The pricepoints are still a little high for me though so I've not bought a R-Free BR player yet.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Not wishing to derail this thread any further - but I was able to find a Blu-Ray multi region player (which plays all regions of dvds and BR) for around $100 at Best Buy (of all places). So far I have played around six hundred discs (BR, dvd, dvd-r), all with no issues.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Wow, talk about disheartening! I never thought "Maude" would be a victim of music rights issues. So much for my favorite show (aside from my bootleg set and personal VHS tapes). Now that I think about it, "It's a Living" may suffer the same fate because of the various tunes Sonny would croon behind the piano. Depressing :(

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Kasey

Wow, talk about disheartening! I never thought "Maude" would be a victim of music rights issues. So much for my favorite show (aside from my bootleg set and personal VHS tapes). Now that I think about it, "It's a Living" may suffer the same fate because of the various tunes Sonny would croon behind the piano. Depressing :(

There must be a LOT of music on Maude for music rights to quash it (as in comparable to WKRP in Cincinnati or The Wonder Years). Shout! has usually been good about clearing music.

Still, the fact that Police Story has been remastered makes me more interested in this show as a blind buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks