What's new

Pointless nostalgia time, folks... (1 Viewer)

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
First DVD player was the Sony DVP7000. Still have it and am still using it. I was lucky enough to get one with the defeatable macrovision and region coding. I recently bought an entry level Toshiba for ther sole purpose of listening to DTS DVD's.
The 7000 is built like a tank. I wouldn't be surprised to have it going for years to come. ;)
Thos.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
My first player was the 1st generation Sony DVP-S3000. Talk about an overbuilt player! This thing still delivers a better interlaced picture than most players on the market, and works just as well as the day I bought it, nearly five years ago! Since that time, I've had a Pioneer combo player (DVL-909) and a JVC progressive scan (502SL) die on me, but the Sony still remains a integral part of the bedroom system.

The Pioneer Elite DV-37, also an overbuilt monster, continues to perform admirably in the living room system.

-Lyle J.P.

P.S. Oh yeah, my first two DVD titles (bought the same night as the player) were Gremlins (later pulled by Spielberg and remained off shelves for over two years) and Dr. No (the THX Snapper).

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
what's the answer for today's Reel trivia?
around 20 free DVDs.. :)
A lot of people(including myself, I might add) bled Reel.com dry.. sad, but inevitable.
Oh, dear.. First DVD player Grundig GDV210 (November 1999), and it was a pain in the ass.. five returns for service. and wouldn't pass a DTS bitstream. First DVD bought - Ghostbusters. Slowly built up a ProLogic setup, bought a cheap subwoofer, and then upgraded to a 5.1 reciever just under a year later.
Bought a new DVD player in March 2001, when the previous one died. A multiregion Pioneer 535, no firmware upgrades, no servicing, no problems. :) HT Nirvana.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
A lot of people(including myself, I might add) bled Reel.com dry.. sad, but inevitable.
I remember January of 2000, in the DVD Talk chatroom, and one of our regulars remarking "Reel got hit by all of us."

Eventually the discounts thinned and the coupons disappeared, but Reel was my primary source for discs until they closed their e-tailing operation.

RD

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
What a fun topic!
My first (and still only) DVD player was the Sony DVPS330, bought in December 1999.
I was lucky to not get one of the 330s that had the "lip-sync" problem that so many others had. Mine has worked perfectly for nearly 3 years now.
My first DVD purchase was Apollo 13, and I also got a bunch for Christmas that year, including The Matrix, Terminator 2, Saving Private Ryan and a few others.
Ahh the days of Internet coupons.... I was lucky to catch the tail end of that whole era... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks