What's new

Pluto no longer a planet (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Pluto is called a "double planet". That's because the size of the planet (er, dwarf planet, *sigh*) and it's moon Charon are not much different in size. How embarrassing!

I wish they'd mass produce Hubbles. I'd love to own one! Look at that shot!! :P

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
My Very Elegant Mother Just Sent Us Nine...

My mnemonic doesn't work any more. I want you to know that I am feeling very depressed.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
They decided against calling it a Pluton when the geologic community said something to the effect of "Hey numbnuts, we already use that term!" The resulting newspaper article likened it to botanists finding a new class of plants and calling them 'animals'.

It's so weird... our concept of the universe is very different than it was yesterday. Pluto joins 'Xena' and Ceres in the dwarf planet class. One unanswered question remains: Are there 11 total planets, both classical and dwarf?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
As more Kuiper Belt objects are being discovered, it makes sense to set clear boundaries as to what is or isn't a planet.

Really, any "planet" that's smaller than the Earth's moon should be ashamed of itself.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

As long as they don't touch Uranus

[Butt-Head]Huh huh. He said 'Uranus'. Huh huh.[/Butt-Head]

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Well, this has happened before. When Ceres was discovered, in the place where the planet between Mars and Jupiter ought to be, it was initially hailed as a new planet. Then came Pallas, and Vesta, and all the others, and they were bumped down to "planetoids", generally (and inaccurately) called "asteroids".

I'm more interested in finding out where the real 9th planet is. Remember, the existence of such a thing was predicted from the perturbations of the orbit of Neptune ; Pluto was found in a search for the thing, and for a while was thought to be it, and then it was proved that Pluto's mass was too small to pull mighty Neptune from his ordinary path, so everybody just forgot about it. There's probably another giant planet or two out there.

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Who else has Schoolhouse Rock going through their head right now?

And Pluto little Pluto is the planet farthest from the sun...

:)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I thought the Planet X hypothesis had been abandoned because the discrepancies in Neptunes' orbit was nullified by more accurate measurements of the planet's mass.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Here's a raunchy mnemonic device for the eight planets (don't click if you're a puritan):

My Very Erotic Mother Just Showed Us Nipples

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
You feel old? Imagine the people that remember when it was DISCOVERED! They've gone from 8 to 9 back to 8..

I hate the people that are saying "They should keep Pluto as an honory planet for traditions sake." The planet is less than 100 years old, that's not tradition, galatically speaking.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but they're over 70 years old. They can barely remember who Pluto the dog is, much less the planets discovery.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Somewhere about the house, I have a book that claims there are eleven planets.
Mercury
Venus
The Earth
Mars
Vesta
Juno
Pallas
Ceres
Jupiter
Saturn
Herschel

Of course, the book was printed in 1839...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks