Plein Soleil: New edition coming out in France

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

[​IMG]
    Amazon.fr listing (click here)

Released on 16th May by Studio Canal. The previous French edition was also from Studio Canal and had, so I am told, an excellent anamorphic transfer, so what are they up to? Is it just a repackaging?

I have the anamorphic UK edition from Optimum, which was transfered from a decent, shopworn release print that has horrible burned-in subtitles. I'd love to own a flawless anamorphic transfer with tasteful, removable, white subtitles; Studio Canal have been know to include English subs from time to time, like the excellent Jeux Interdits.

Does anyone have any info on this?

2. Armin Jager

Armin Jager Stunt Coordinator

I'd also be very interested to know if there are english or at least french subtitles because this "acteurs, actrices de legende" series doesn't feature only Alain Delon, but also 14 (!) films by Romy Schneider which will be released on 16th may, too. With subtitles I'd buy them all immediately, but without ... the STUDIO CANAL website is unfortunately a mess, at least I couldn't find a reliable catalogue.

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...according to dvdfr the DVDs featuring Romy Schneider have "sous-titres: aucun", meaning "subtitles: none"
    (not even French ones!!!)...

. . . [​IMG] . . .

4. Armin Jager

Armin Jager Stunt Coordinator

I discovered the site recently, but for JEUX INTERDITS which has subtitles as Gordon wrote (amazon.fr confirms them, too) it also lists "no subtitles". I guess that means waiting until the release date ...

I really hate it if the producers don't make subtitles. Does it really cost that much money? I'd love to suggest some lesser known German films to the forum members, but without subtitles or only German ones it's quite pointless. And so some major classics from 1945-1965 which are quite unknown will remain unknown ... [​IMG]
    I hope STUDIO CANAL is wiser and gave this edition subtitles ... it would break my heart to know of a good edition of the major French Romy Schneider films and not be able to watch them due to my poor French [​IMG].

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...I really hate it if the producers don't make subtitles..."

...well... these DVDs are made for the French-language market, after all (France, Belgium, Switzerland, Monaco, Tahiti, etc.)... what seems much worse - to me ! - is the fact that almost no French DVDs carry subs for the hard of hearing...

. . . [​IMG] . . .