What's new

Please tell me who in the universe would pay to see this movie... (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Musicals ARE hot right now...as is this show (actually Sarah got me to watch it and I generally enjoy it, at least the good singers, which there are 3-4 very good ones).

The clip I saw looked like Beach Blanket Bingo or something. Love story set on beach, kids having fun dancing around singing to each other.

As dumb and commercial as it first sounded, I could see it having a certain charm. I'll be waiting for some reviews of course. :)

Certainly it can't be worse than Sweet Home Alabama or Rollerball.

Cripes, even The Core is getting mixed reviews, so there is an audience for everyone.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What does a picture of a poster and an, admittedly, bland title prove? I would have to have more information about the movie before I would decide that it is not worth seeing.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well, if I'm ever suicidal and looking for something to push me over the edge, I know where to look.

*wonders how many HTFers would buy the DVD if it had a DTS track :D*

Certainly it can't be worse than Sweet Home Alabama or Rollerball
So many piss-poor movies have been made because the creative team thought "well, can't be worse than... *insert previous stinker*" ;)

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, perhaps the same kind of people who have been feeding the ratings cash cow of "Reality TV"; you know, the ones who talk about the latest American Idol finalists at work the next day...

NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the ever-lowering-standards American public.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The clips I've seen make it look more horrific than I imagined. It looks like what it probably is

Something someone wrote in a weekend, then took some songs they had lying around and tweaked the lyrics. This is not a musical, this is a slapdash rush job. A musical is finely tailored with YEARS of work, and the songs have a point (unlike this shithole)

Supposedly it's been pushed back to June

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I can only assume those people are part of that american idol thing that I've never watched. The show is quite popular so more power to them for getting a movie of their own.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
you know, the ones who talk about the latest American Idol finalists at work the next day...

NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the ever-lowering-standards American public.
Wow, you might want to watch who you label as stupid, especially just a few posts after they mention watching this show.

I enjoy singing, and watching people compete at the art of singing holds exactly the same excitement for me as watching a basketball game or other sporting competition (I recall hearing similar watercooler discussions over those subjects too). This year's show features several very talented singers who had gone overlooked before now.

And it's also fun watching the wanna-bes and truly disillusioned hacks get sent packing, especially when they follow someone who is obviously outstanding in comparison yet they still see themselves as equal.

At this point the show is down to about 4 very talented people and another 5-6 ones that are decent but in need of practice. The show is very minimal on any sort of "reality" style pseudo-melodrama. Just go sing, get some feedback, next contestant.

If you like singing, and enjoy evaluating singers or hearing them evaluated, then the show is great.

None of this means that I think just slapping them into a rushed film is a good idea though. As for the "can't be worse than" statement, my point was not that this is a good "greenlight" criteria, but rather that I hardly have time to complain about this goofy effort with all the other crap (that I have seen) being shoved out the door.

I have trouble seeing this film being good, the timing especially wreaks of "cash-in", but you never know. It's certain to pull in the teen idol dollars.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
From the clip I saw on American Idol, it looked like it would be direct-to-video.

~T

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
To be followed by "Joe Millionaire: The Movie," no doubt. :rolleyes

Seth_S

Second Unit

I would never put 'art' and 'singing' in the same sentence when talking about "American Idol" contestants. Like pop "singers", they are entertainers - meaning that there is more of an emphasis on the physicality of their performance. That's why none of them sing while standing statically against an equally static background. If you want to hear what a real singer sounds like, buy a Anne-Sofie von Otter CD.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Obviously you are not familiar with American Idol, nor it's contestants. They even ran a preview on an episode this year.
Well, you hit that nail on the head. I am definitely not very familiar with American Idol. Of course, now there will be a few people wondering what rock I've been living under. :) Reading posts that came after mine, I started gathering that I was missing the joke or something. Now I know why.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Yeah, I was talking about the number on the poster--I guess it does mean some fan voted thing.

As for American Idol, this thread constitutes the first time I've ever laid eyes upon these two souls I'm supposed to be idoling.

I'll probably skip this, though the girl on the left's kinda pretty.

Evan

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I work at theater near me and I was checking out the new posters we got recently, and this happened to be one of them. I will not be putting this one up for display that's for sure. I will put The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,Lost in La Mancha, and Bruce Almighty. We also got a new X-Men poster so I will replaced the first teaser poster with the new one. Anyways this looks like another piece of trash and I have no intention in seeing this whatsoever. This is coming from a person who usually see's every movie that comes out.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks