What's new

Please Stop banner ads (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Kevin,I saw the image you posted for the first time when I was on another site yesterday. I have never seen it here however.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The HP Officejet Pro X ad is back (post #26 of Neil M. above includes an image). It's a bit different for me this time though. It used to just roll up and stop. Now it rolls up and then semi-darkens (and covers) the entire screen. I have to back out of the site or open up another browser to correct.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
As I have previously stated, I am in Germany and don't get this problem. Perhaps the problem is where the person having the problem is ,located since it seems that many do not have this problem. I would check into that logic.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sumnernor,That thought crossed my mind. Perhaps it is a software issue? Maybe those whom have had it occur have similar (non-compatible?) software. If it is location-related as you suggest, one thing to note too is that more than one person has had this problem, so it would (I would think) have to include multiple locations.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I am sure this a coding error. One should check the location of the people having this problem. I am sure that where I am in Germany I don't have this problem. Perhaps in the code where this check occurs, if someone is a member exit immediately. Maybe this test is done in a subroutine and can be entered from many places. It is my impression that this should not be a difficult problem.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Ockeghem said:
The HP Officejet Pro X ad is back (post #26 of Neil M. above includes an image). It's a bit different for me this time though. It used to just roll up and stop. Now it rolls up and then semi-darkens (and covers) the entire screen. I have to back out of the site or open up another browser to correct.
Please do me a favor and the next time you see it do an entire full screen capture (not part --- the entire screen). I need to get context of where you are in the forum to see if it has something to do with a particular location.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Kevin,Will do. You are definitely on to something here, because the ad occurs only when I am on the opening 'Forums' page. Once I enter a sub-forum or a particular thread, the ad does not appear (or perhaps more appropriately, it disappears).

Edit: I have a full screenshot, but I am unable to upload it under the 'Images' icon provided in my HTF editor.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Kevin,

Hi. Mike Frezon has been a great help, giving me detailed instructions on how to do this. However, there are just too many steps involved (as well as tabs I am unable to locate) with uploading images from my hard drive to HTF albums. With (e.g.) Facebook, there are one or two steps, and the process is much easier. This is just too much work to proceed. I will continue to close out the ads as I see them. If another poster has similar problems to those I've described, perhaps they will be able to upload the full-screen images that you require in order to (hopefully) solve this problem.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kevin:

Here are Scott's two images of his run-in with the banner ad.

Image #1:

gallery_286742_34_92402.jpg

Image #2

gallery_286742_34_12180.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just got the floating HP banner ad when I was logged in and viewing the Display Devices hardware forum.

Attachments

• htf ad3.JPG
    htf ad3.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 36

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Thanks Malcolm - seems we always see it in forum view, but we're still trying to track it down.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Any of you interested in trying the new premium membership for a week to give feedback? It's a version of the site without banner ads. It'll be available soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks