Please sign my petition for a colorized Citizen Kane

Discussion in 'DVD' started by andrew markworthy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. andrew markworthy

Everyone knows and loves Citizen Kane, but don't you feel that it would reach an even wider audience if it were released in a colorized version? We know that an attempt was made to do this a few years ago, but Orson Welles blocked it. However, with recent advances in technology, surely an even better job could now be done - one that Mr W would be proud of.

At the same time, wouldn't it just be great if we replaced the rather drab mono soundtrack with something remixed in 5.1? And also, reformat it into widescreen for today's TV sets.

By adopting these policies, we could attract a whole new audience to Citizen Kane without doing too much damage to the original. I am sure that if enough interest were shown, a respected restorer such as Robert Harris would be eager to take on this task.

Please, if you can find it in your hearts to do this, sign my petition at the following web page: http://www.april.fool.com/

Thanks for reading, and if you have any comments, please read carefully what I've written before making a reply.

2. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    That's a good one! You almost had me until I read the whole message. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

April 1. 2005

Possibly we could add an animated devil and angel whispering in Kane's ear to better entice and reveal the conflict of this Classic to 10 year olds and younger.

And also another good idea might be reediting a slimmed down version (like 20 minutes), Cliff Notes version if you will, so future film directors in film school can get the essence of Citizen Kane without sitting through the whole overly long 119 mins.

4. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

The movie is also in need of re-editing, the flashbacks are really confusing... Please re-edit in chronological order [​IMG]
    I second the demand for a proper 16/9 release... I hate those vertical black bars...
    A rap soundtrack would also help selling this movie to a younger audience...

And please contact Georges Lucas... I would like him to digitally alter some scenes I don't like (it would be so much cooler if Rosebud was actually a light-saber !!)

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Actually, colorizing it would be a good idea.

6. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I think that a lot of the acting in CK is extremely suspect. Some of those accents sound like they came from the last century! I say we should redub the whole thing. What's Charles Fleischer doing these days?

And, hell, for a family film like CK, they sure forgot all the basic ingredients - I'm particularly talking about jokes about burping and breaking wind.

And I know the budget wasn't up to it at the time, but the animated character "Rosebud" (which we all know is a moose) needs to be around at the beginning, otherwise it makes no sense.

In all seriousness though, you know Orson Welles would not have approved a recoloured version, when the technology is there for 3D and a new Karaoke singalong soundtrack.

[​IMG]

7. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    B&W is OK but gimme 5.1![​IMG]

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This isn't a joke... Warner Home Video will be releasing a new DVD line called "Colorized Classics"

They did a really nice job, though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(It's even 16x9 enhanced, with DTS!)

9. Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton Stunt Coordinator

I don't usually sign online petitions but if anyone starts one against lame April Fool's jokes that are neither witty nor original, let me know.

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

[​IMG]

11. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

Ouch.

I knew immediately this one was April Fool's, but at least his heart was in the right place.

Nice Photoshop work Patrick!

12. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    At least after today threads like this will die a quick death. I am armed and ready April Fools evil doers [​IMG]

13. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I give you credit for a nice try. I was shocked at the title and then though... "hmm, April 1st, perhaps?"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Perhaps a new contemporary score would make it a more valuable film in today's world, a la Moroder's Metropolis. A hip-hop score, perhaps?

15. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Come on, don't be such a sourpuss, Eddie! [​IMG]

It's part of the fun of 1st April - scanning the topics and picking out the joke posts. It should be just as easy to avoid them, so what are you doing replying to this thread?

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Some of the lame special effects could be fixed with CG. My kid just got an Atari and is already working on them!

17. BrettB

BrettB Producer

They should replace that lame ass sled with one of those disc things like in Christmas Vacation. Griswold was flying like a bat out of hell in that.

18. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

I propose that we digitally replace all those lame actors like Orson Welles with somebody else, like Nicholas Cage. This would update the film and make it more accessable to the younger, modern generation.

19. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

They should just go ahead and remake Citizen Kane, duplicating each shot exactly, using popular actors like, I dunno, maybe Vince Vaughn, Anne Heche, Julianne Moore....

20. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Why should they waste money on trying to fix or remake that old film anyway? Who cares? When was it made, like 400 BC or something?

That money should be used to get out important, recent stuff like a DVD set of the Complete American Idol, or season sets of Martha Stewart Living.

Cmon people, stop living in the past and get with it!