What's new

Please read: Future and current DIYers (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
My post has nothing to do with "newbies". I am a "newbie".
As you mention, what I dislike is a lack of any sort of effort, and the kind of questions that indicate that someone is just not listening, or is waiting for the answer he wants to hear.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Jack, newbie is all relative. Compared to many, I am not a newbie..compared to others I most definately am. ..heck, I have only been doing subs for ~3 years or so.
..but I agree. Many are lazy...I for one am at times, but I do use the search from time to time :D

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Jack

I think I qualify in the designation on your profile. But I have to tell that this is a rather complex area. One thing is to understand the basics, but another really different is to really grasp what is going on. I have dedicated about two months now to really learn to use the programs and learn all that I can (several hours a week). And I still feel that I really don't know what is going on.

Yes, I have read hundreds of posts and a book (audio measurement handbook), and I have worked (again for hours) with a couple of programs included the excellent Unibox.

You need to know also that there are a lot of people who is not a native English speaker, so you can't ask really to everybody to have an excellent grammar or whatever.

Perhaps me and others are "guilty", but nevertheless we are learning.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You need to know also that there are a lot of people who is not a native English speaker, so you can't ask really to everybody to have an excellent grammar or whatever.
I know the difference between some one who's using a second language and someone who's lazy...or whatever.

Y'know, I've been posting here for over three years, and I'll bet most of my posts have been giving patient advice to "newbies". Schmucks are another matter entirely, people who don't know a thing yet insist they're right.

A

Anthony_Gomez

damn, I have made _38 posts in the past 3 days!...oops, make that 39:D
..and none of them were a waste of bandwidth...like this post:p)

A

Anthony_Gomez

yes....this is my private chat-room. Can I open a chatroom thread?..or is that too many posts for me today?
oops..just broke 40
EDIT: chat has to be postponed to another date. Time to leave the campus...guess who wants me at someone else's house :D

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reply, Jack. I do appreciate the effort some of you advaced fellers are dishing out. Most helpful. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I too would consider myself a newbie (or whatever is the newer than newbie term if Jack says he is a newbie...)

I lurked for a while and read all the sonosub posts I could, I did lots of research and checked out all the sites I could (esp. Pat, Dustin and Warrick). I posted up a few questions of my own when I was in the designing/building process but like to think that these were semi-intelligent posts with genuine questions and an eagerness on my part to learn and do the work involved to get it right.

I think what Jack and Pat are refering to are posts where someobody essentially wants someone to design them a sub from scratch for free, spoonfeed them every single measurement needed and never show a hint of gratitude.

When this shows up as multiple threads from the same user on very similar subjects, it only serves to amplify the frustration further.

Additionally, I have been frustrated by posts from people who post for opinions on using a "wicked" 12" POS car sub that, when shot down by the more experienced users here turns in to an attack everyone for dissing their selection when the numbers (not opinions) show that the car sub won;t cut it.

I think the important point here is that this is essentially a peer to peer group of enthusiasts who have no obligation to help you in any way, but choose to do so out of a passion for the art and science of HT. The fact that they consistently and patiently help newbies to this site deserves a lot of gratitude and respect.

I for one would like to thank Pat, Jack, Dustin, Warrick and everyone else who helped me achieve results beyond what I (or my skeptical friends) thought possible. Please remember that for every frustrating post you put up with or respond to, there are probably 100s of visitors to this site who learned something from that thread, even if the original postee did not.

Thanks

Robin Smith

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the kinds words.

Let's please keep it constructive. This thread is not meant to be a bitch session, just a reminder to think before you post, and to do some legwork (searches and research and grokking), and try to interject some form of project management for those "newbies" not quite sure of the adventure they are embarking on with DIY.

Don't be afraid of asking questions, but let's make a concerted effort to not use the shotgun approach to ask questions by starting 10 different threads when a couple of threads would suffice (or do a search, and find an appropriate thread and ask for more clarification in the existing thread).

Thanks.

warrick

Stunt Coordinator
I think what is needed for all us newbies (yes I do definitely call myself that) is for someone or someones to collect and collate all of the information that has been imparted through this forum and create a database for the new generation of newbies to be able to use to answer most of the basic questions.
This would certainly cut down on the number of identical threads appearing.
Searching this forum for threads about a specific subject has become very frustrating because the search engine is not specific enough.
I recently went looking for the "volume of the tempest" to answer a question put to me, I knew I had read this in a post but when searching found that the results were numerous.
Guess how many results contain the words TEMPEST and VOLUME
I can see why people would seem to be asking the same questions over again, it took me a long time to understand and to be sure before I started to build my project.
It also made me feel special when the people from this forum took an interest in my project and helped by answering my questions (I'm sure some of those had been asked before)
So it may seem that some are asking the same questions but to them they are not because they are asking about their project not someone else's.

Regards

Warrick

PS
Thanks Robin for the plug, glad I was able to help

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Robin,
I don't know if I could have put it better. :)
I'll take a sec to thank some of you advanced DIYers for constructing helpful sites and lending a hand of knowledge and experience. I wouldn't be as far (educational wise) as I am without all of your help.
Thanks for having the time, patience, and knowledge. :D
Mucho appreciation. ;)

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
What would be great is to compile all (most) of the questions asked on this board into an FYI page. I would guess most every question has already been answered at least once. Now we just need a volunteer that is well versed in sub building and wed page building.

Brax

Or maybe all us newbies could use the search method

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have 1 queston i have finished my tempest sono tube and havent ordered my tempest yet can i order the new tsomething sub aka umber15 and put in it is a 250l encloser with dual 4 inch ports tuned to 16 hz

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You should. I'm not sure if the mounting holes will be exactly the same. And you will only be able to realize a fraction of the drivers performance capabilities with that amount of porting.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A request: Please do not post DIY questions in this thread since it's more of a meta thread for this area.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Over on AVSForum there are some sticky threads that stay at the top of some of their forums.

Some of these threads are simply lists of other threads of value. Is something like that possible here?

If we could have a post that stays at the top, people could put up their "favourite" informative threads and eventually the whole lot could be merged and categorized into a mega thread of threads on the popular DIY topics.

Any opinions on this idea? Or further ideas/ways to improve.

Thanks

Robin

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's sort of hard to anticipate learning curves from person to person. People come from different backgrounds, and what makes perfect sense to one person will mean squat to another.

Some people just want the construction details, and very little on the theory behind it. Some people live for the theoretical modelling of the projects. So it's quite hard to be all things to all people.

I would prefer that some form of DIY FAQ webpage might turn up, and even then, the personal customization that springs forth from DIY doesn't quite make previous DIY project documentation/FAQ suitable for everyone.

While we can do the sticky thread thing, I prefer not to do it unless it contains a wealth of knowledge that is applicable even for the DIY beginner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.