Please need help w/ hard-to-diagnose video problem...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony*B, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

hello all, I'm having some trouble here...first the "offending" equipment:
    Zenith DVB 318 DVD player
    Samsung TXM3096 HDTV tv

problem became apparent when i went to watchthe anamorphic black & white DVD of Black Sunday (Bava)...as I watched, the image would be normal, nice looking B&W & then occasionally would become extremely "titnted" w/ a brown hue that was VERY distracting...1st thing i did was check another B&W anamorphic disc (Manchurian Candidate)-same problem, not quite as severe, but very noticeable/distracting-it is DEFINITELY not the films themselves, as the discs were then put in my other DVD player (outputting 480i) & looked normal throughout
    i didnt mention before that i am doing upconverted 1080i on the Zenith..
    the problem is, I havent been able to single out which component is the "culprit"...i cant tell if something is wrong w/ the TV's 1080i output because i have no other available 1080 sources to input with, & i cant single out the Zenith for essentially the same reasons...does that make sense? it could be either one seemingly...
    any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm tearing my hair out over this one...BTW, the problem does not seem to occur on color movies (at least not to a noticable degree-maybe it does but is harder to detect)
    thx in advance

2. John S

John S Producer

Conected DVI or Component video?

I'd at least try the other and see if it persists.

I can say, I watch a ton of B&W DVD's off of my VDB-318 via component video and never had an issue like this.

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

One would suspect the player and/or it's output setting if the problem doesn't manifest itself with the second player. Have you tried changing the output on the Zenith to a 480i or p or 720p signal?

Mort

4. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

more info gentlemen:
    I do not have the capability to try DVI unfortunately---the Samsung TV has only component in for 1080 [​IMG]
    the 2nd DVD player is outputting at 480i, so i felt it may be wrong to blame the Zenith since im outputting from it at 1080...
    I cannot try output at 720p as tv does not support this either, & i did bump the zenith output down to 480p & i was having difficulty telling if the problem was still there as it was late & i was groggy [​IMG]
    (if it IS there, it's not nearly as drastic as under 1080)

if its my tv, its bad because it was a $$$ investment for me, if it's the Zenith, also bad because of their scarcity [​IMG] doh!

5. John S

John S Producer

Hmmm, I guess it could be something odd with that particular DVB-318.

I can definetly state mine works fantasic at 1080i for B&W DVD's.