What's new

Please help with upgrade decisions!! (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
I have HT fever and want to upgrade everything that is "substandard" in my setup. I do not know much about HT and that is why I value the opinion of those of you who are knowledgable. I have an older Carver Pro Logic HT receiver (total 300w) that does not even have a separate for sub connections and a Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system. I have had this setup since 97. I know that there is much better out there and I would like to improve. Please help me to decide where to begin and. First, I thought that I would replace the receiver with something like the Denon 3802. I feel that this is the necessary first step. I also would like to replace the front speakers (maybe Def Tech power towers) and center channel. The SVS sub also sounds like a valuable addition. Finally, the rear surrounds will get replaced. This is now setup in the family room of my house (14x24), but will hopefully find a home in a dedicated room if we build (eventually). I also use this setup for music listening. Although I have not made any definite decisions on the equipment and only beginning the process, give me your opinions on the steps you would take (in order) to improve. I will take these steps gradually as money allows incorporating into the existing Bose system as purchased. YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You definitelly have to get Dolby Digital and DTS before anything else. A assume you already have DVD, so the receiver sounds like a great place to start. Then speakers and subs. Assuming you already have a TV, DVD player, etc...

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Here's my general approach to upgrades. For me it is battle between gaining additional capabilities and functionality vs improving the quality of existing capabilities. It usually boils down to the current economics. If the budget is tighter, I'm usually happier to gain new capabilities. If money is more readily available I like to upgrade quality. Without any budget constraints you can chase both types of goals simultaneously. I think I agree with updating your receiver to one which can decode current soundtracks. That's a major change in capability. You could also go after better speakers. That's a change in the quality of an existing capability. On a purely subjective estimate of increased enjoyment I tend to go with greater capability rather than ultimate quality when forced to take a choice.
None of your equipment choices today are written in stone. While it may not be the cheapest route, it IS okay to change equipment and speakers later. You aren't married to equipment for the rest of your life.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks