What's new

Please help with my subwoofer (1 Viewer)

MichelleH

Auditioning
I have a JVC home theater system with a powered subwoofer. The problem i have is when watching a DVD the subwoofer powers off and on constantly when people are talking. I understand somewhat that there is now signal to keep it on but this just doesn't seem right. I tried to watch Bloodwork and it clicked off and on so much it wasn't worth watching.Please help!!!! I am new to all of this!!

keir

Stunt Coordinator
my advice is to just use always on. theres probably a switch somewhere that has auto and on settings. i have my sub set to always on because i had the same problem.

MichelleH

Auditioning
Could you please tell me where this setting could be?? I have checked everything I can think of but have never come across a always on switch.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
if there was a switch, it would be on the back of the subwoofer and pretty easy to find.

now that i reread your post, are you saying that the subwoofer turns itself off and on pretty rapidly? because if it was a problem with the auto switch, it wouldnt turn off unless there was no bass for something like 7 minutes. it wouldnt be switching back and forth.

MichelleH

Auditioning
I checked the back and there is no switch. And yes it does switch back and forth rapidly. It will switch off and on 5 times in a minute.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
It sounds like you sub is not working properly or there is a possible faulty connection somewhere in your power line or sub cable/wire. Check for this first. Is this sub part of a mini system? The wires that come with some of these units are not very good a lot of the time.

MichelleH

Auditioning
I'm not sure what you mean by a mini system. It was connected with the cable that came with it but I had to buy another one to connect to reach the other side of the room.
I used RCA cables. Could it be because I had to use two?? According to JVC tech one told me there is no delay and the other one told me there was. Just can't figure this out and am not satisfied with the system but I don't want to return it till I'm sure this is normal. I don't see how anyone could put up with the constant clicking off and on. Do you have any other ideas--they would be much appreciated!!

Jose G

Supporting Actor
By mini system I meant a small system that sometimes passes for a HTiB system- even some HTiB systems come with cheap wires but they are usually ok most of the time. In some mini systems, like the one my step dad has, the sub that came with it can't really handle all the bass signals and distorts badly with well recorded music and I wouldn't touch it with a dvd player- although panasonic claims it can handle a dvd. I guess it could at really low, low, low volume- but what's the point of that!
Now, you are using a new cable, but why are you using two cables? Do you mean one cable and a y spliter to connect the sub? Or, do you mean that you have connected two cables to eachother to get a long enough extension. If this last example is the case, check your connections again- move them around while the system is running. Note: Do this at low volume. It may be that you have a loose connection- that's what it sounds like to me. You may have a short in one of the cables. Try it with a new cable or a shorter run to check for this. By delay- do you mean signal delay? If so, there should not be a delay in sound. And anyway, what's happening to your system shouldn't be happening anyway. I wish I had more to offer you, but if you are not happy with it- return it before it's too late or have it checked at a service center if still under complete warrenty. It does sound like the problem is in the wires, though. Unless the power supply on the sub is freaking out in which case- you would need a new sub or have the sub replaced. Good luck!

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michelle,
What was meant by the previous post is some/most subs have an always on or auto on feature. FYI- an auto on feature turns the subs amp on when the LFE/sub signal is detected. It sounds like your sub could be either with no manual control. However most subs once triggered on in auto mode will stay one for some amount of time typically 2-7 minutes if I recall my SVS is 5 minutes. The way I see it it could be caused by either one of these.

1) Your sub is always ON meaning it should never turn on and off and if this is the case you have a bad sub or a loose connection which could vibrate loose during bass passages. Fix- check all your connections

2) Your sub is auto sensing if this is the case it could be due to a low line level signal that is set marginally at the subs auto trigger on point. Example your sub needs a signal more than .9vpp to turn on and your receiver is sending a .7- 1 vpp. Fix turn down the amp level (volume control) on the sub and increase the line out level.

3) The sub cable could be picking up noise as well, you stated you had to get a longer one how long? Is it of good quality?

With this said and rereading your post, you stated it was coming on at times of dialog intermittently? Hmmm it could also be your Bass Management(BM) settings More info is needed to help

What are your receiver settings
speaker sizes
crossover settings
Sub crossover
etc...

Is this a HT in a box and theoretically a plug and play system? If it is there probably not much tweeking available and could be just a plain old defective unit!

:)

MichelleH

Auditioning
I used two cables to get a long enough extension. By delay I meant that when there are no bass sounds it shuts off but not till there are none for a period of time. Thanks for all your help!!

MichelleH

Auditioning
Yes it is a HT in a box. Speaker system is Subwoofer/Satellite. Sub is 120W and the crossover is 120Hz at least that is what it says in the owner's manual. Crossover on the receiver is set at 120hz. The LFE-ATT is set at 0db. All other speaker settings are set to small. You stated that your SVS is 5 minutes. How do I find out what mine is or if I have it at all??

MichelleH

Auditioning
The bass on the receiver which goes from-10to 10 is set at 0 That is the only setting I have for bass. Also on the receiver I have a subwoofer yes or no setting and it is set at yes. I don't have many choices on the receiver period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks