Please help with enclosure for Dayton 10" MKII

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David-Kraemer, Apr 11, 2003.

1. David-Kraemer

I've been trying to work up an enclosure for the Dayton MKII I just purchased and am having some trouble.
    WinIsd tells me that a 1.3cuft box will give the smoothest graph, but the vent length would be impossible.

What I'd like to end-up with is the smallest volume that will get me to 28Hz or lower. It will be going in my new living room that's about 23' x 14' x 9.5'vaulted ceiling.
    I've done many searches and found a number of references to the MKII but none talked about specifics on the enclosure.

Thanks,
    davidk

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Are you looking for examples? Here's one.

-Robert

3. David-Kraemer

That's exactly what I need. Thanks.

Just one more thing, could someone tell me if my results from WinISD are correct? I seem to be getting different results today even though I'm using the same saved driver info.

I get a box of 1.3cuft which is fine, but the vent seems different. Yesterday I couldn't fit them in the box, today, using a 2" port it comes out to 6.7"? Does this sound right?

Also as far as tuning goes, what results do you get by playing with the vent length? Should I build it so I can shorten or lengthen the port?

Thanks again,
    davidk

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Have you considered spending a little more money and using passive radiators? You won't need to worry about vent length and you can have your original design with the extension you wanted.

5. David-Kraemer

Yes, A PR would be an option. I've already completed it though. I had a sheet of 1.5" mdf leftover and Friday night I put the whole thing together with a little finish work on Saturday. It's quite the cube at 16x16x20" (with feet), and it weighs in at 75lbs with everything in it. I haven't done any real testing but it sounds good, I think? I could still put a PR in the existing case, just put it where the port is now.

From reading other posts, the key to it sounding "good" is to have a flat output, spl's, all the way down? Right? Is there a "how to tell if it really sound good for dummies"?

Thanks,
    davidk