What's new

Please Help! New to this, Need Help with Outdoor Theatre information Projector choice (1 Viewer)

BruceCannonz

Auditioning
Real Name
Angel
First and foremost Hello to all you smart and educated Theatre experts. Thanks for allowing me a forum to gain if just a bit of all your knowledge. I am attempting at creating an Outdoor Theatre and do not know where to start as far as the projector goes. I was told that LED HD was the way to go because the replacement of bulbs is too high on regular projectors. Also i would like to be able to set up laptop, cable box , playstation etc.. to be viewed from the projector. I will be on the market for speakers as well , those with crisp sound and bass. I have a pergola that i would like to use that has a roof over it that will protect if it rains, i would like to have a mobile set up to bring in and out and a removal type screen. I was told to try shower curtains to start with a rear projection... not sure what my throw is yet but i will measure and provide later. Can someon pleas assist in naming some good HD LED projectors with HDMI inputs? I would really appreciate it, also my budget for the entire system is apx 1,000. Thanks for your time.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Not only that, he wants an LED projector. :) What exactly is $1,000 supposed to buy? Projector and 2 speakers only?

BruceCannonz

Auditioning
Real Name
Angel
Gentlemen, sorry if i was unclear 1,000 is budget for the projector. I would like some assistance in projector brands

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What screen size do you want? What's your throw distance? As far as I know, you will not find any LED projector even close to bright enough for $1,000. Here's an example of a good 720p projector for you. The Optoma HD66 is more than bright enough for a 120" diagonal image, with a throw between 13' 7" and 14' 10".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm done with that budget. Go here for a reality check. http://www.backyardtheatersystems.com/theater-systems/indoor-outdoor-series.php And there are more than a few "outdoor theater hobbyist" sites where you'll get additional information. Basically the goal of "indoor controlled" is totally different than "outdoor non-controlled".

BruceCannonz

Auditioning
Real Name
Angel
Thanks for your information Jim, it is greatly appreciated. Found this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD66-2500ANSI-Lumens-4000/dp/B002ZWU33U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360596505&sr=8-1&keywords=Optoma+HD66 Is this the same one you are referring to?

BruceCannonz

Auditioning
Real Name
Angel
Any thoughts on this http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT750E-Lumen-3D-Gaming-Projector/dp/B005G2HR6W/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360596786&sr=1-5&keywords=led+projector+720p

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
BruceCannonz said:
Thanks for your information Jim, it is greatly appreciated. Found this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD66-2500ANSI-Lumens-4000/dp/B002ZWU33U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360596505&sr=8-1&keywords=Optoma+HD66 Is this the same one you are referring to?
Yes, that's it. Bruce, you didn't answer me about your desired screen size and throw distance. Your projector choices depend on these 2 things. I assume throw distance doesn't matter much because it's outside, but if you want to use it inside also, it's important. The GT750E is a popular and well reviewed projector designed for gaming. I've never seen it, but it has a VERY short throw lens. It only needs to be 6' from the screen to give you a 120" diagonal screen. This is OK for outside, but can be a problem indoors. Most people don't want the projector in front of them when seated. Another problem is it does not have any zoom lens. Not good.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The 2 best under $1,000 for you are the Benq 5920 and Acer 6500. They both are bright enough for a 120" diagonal screen with a 14' to 15' throw.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
There's actually a third player in the lineup, the Viewsonic Pro 8200. It's a couple years old, but you should check it out. All 3 are bright enough for your 120" diagonal screen, but the Acer has no speakers, if that matters. The Benq and Viewsonic have a speaker or speakers. Where the Viewsonic wins is the warranty, 3 years. The other 2 are only 1 year. You need to review the features of each, warranty and of course, price. I would bet the image will be very close with all 3 of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks