Please Help me Understand

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Harrison, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Mark Harrison

OK. I purchased a Toshiba 51H83 TV and a Toshiba d-2900 progressive scan DVD player AND a 25 foot 75 ohm component video cable (A.V. Cable). I connected the component cable to the back of my DVD player and to the HD-1 (Colorstream) input in the back of the monitor. I also hooked up my DVD player to my Denon 2800 receiver using 75 ohm coaxial cable (monster).

I select widescreen 16:9 format on my DVD player and on my TV I select theaterwide mode 1 (least exaggerated stretch mode otherwise the TV defaults to 4:3). When I put in the Avia disc to calibrate the set to this signal I am surprised at the graininess of the moving video narration that shows the two men describing how to use the disc. Next I put in the Spiderman DVD and watched the top menu animation that shows spidey swinging through the city and again I am amazed at how much it looks like the S-video connection of my NON-progressive scan Pioneer DVD player (333). THEN.....I put the spiderman movie on and it looks GREAT! So I switch and put in the Lawrence of Arabia disc and that looks stunning. Then I put in a live concert disc of 3 Dog Night and that looks ok but no better than it did with my old pioneer hook up. SO WHY DOESN't EVERYTHING LOOK GREAT ALL THE TIME ON DVD WITH THIS SET UP?

2. Mark Harrison

I forgot to mention that I also select Film and not Video on the monitor for picture and 540P not 1080i for signal input.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not quite sure I know what you're asking. Not all DVDs look great, since different people (using different methods) author discs in different ways.

4. Mark Harrison

Providing that the set up I described is correct and there are no equipment problems:

Is it normal to see a lower level of image quality in the DVD menu options displays or animations then in the actual movie that follows?

Does a progressive scan DVD player with a HD monitor allow the best possible viewing quality for a DVD?

Please name another DVD that should impress me for image quality as much as Lawrence of Arabia did?

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I second what Michael said. The proper mode for anamorphic DVD's on a Toshiba is "full". 4:3 is "Natural" and non-anamorphic is "TW2". TW1 and TW3 are used to stretch non-critical 4:3 broadcasts.

Another thing to check is your progressive setting on the DVD player. You may not be getting a progressive image and some DVD players have a lousy interlaced mode compared to their progressive mode. Also check your 3:2 pulldown (video/film mode). This will affect picture quality as well. For most DVD's, it should be set to "auto" or "film".

Also remember a larger TV will show defects more readily than a small tv. These defects will be magnified by the stretch mode, especially on the sides of TW1.

How far are you sitting from it? It may be you are close enough to distinguish individual scanlines and need to move back a little.

7. Mark Harrison

I think you folks have given me the answers I was looking for. Thanks for helping me understand.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer