What's new

PLEASE HELP me spend my 3K on projector (1 Viewer)

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
ok im down to the wire - i want to purchase the best home theater projector i can for under 3000 . ive been looking at the mitsubishi xd300u at 2900, with free extra lamp .3 yr warranty. it has 4000 lamp life, 2000;1 contrast , 2000 lumens, dcdi, 95% uniformity . im just comparing by specs , i havnt really seen any in person other than a infocus x1 i returned because i wanted a little more quality . please help me with any of you guys' expertise /experience..i am a newbie to projection ..

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
forgot to mention my room is 16 x 20 , a little ambient light in room - no daylight- id like a 110 " screen 16;9 and the capability of a 4:3, mostly dvd and sattalite viewing ....

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Darron:

Welcome. I dont't know anything about the Mitsu XD300U but I do own the Sony HS10 which falls within your price range. The picture from this projector is simply stunning. I have it setup with a Sony HDSAT 100 for hdtv. The Sony does a good job with Directv feeds but it excels with HDTV.

I also just got the Bravo D1 DVD player with dvi and the picture is even better than the Panasonic RP82 which is a very good player. With the dvi connections I'm able to up display my dvds at 720p or 1080i.

The Panasonic L300U is also another projector you should consider. I heard a lot of very good things about this pj.
Currently the much talked about pj here is the Infocus X1 which you can get for under $1000. You should check it out too.

Projector Central will give you lots of useful info on all of these pjs. You post any additional questions here. There are lots of knowledgeable members here.

My room is about your size with lots of ambient light but checkout how I have it set up. Click on the link below.

BTW I'm also a newbie to pjs too:D

Good luck.

Sean Stashuk

Auditioning
If you read the original post it says that he actually purchased the X1 and then returned it due to being dissapointed with its performance. That seems a little strange since I see a lot of people praising the X1, is it possible that it was just not set up properly?

I might be in the market for a fp soon as well (also 3K range), and have always been pointed towards the X1 for the best price/performace value, but am is there really that much of a performace sacrifice to get the good price?

I'd be interested in hearing what you finally pick! Keep us posted.

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
the x1 was cool ,dont get me wrong, but with some room light it was kind of washy. the dark scenes in star wars were kind of difficult to watch ,i quickly got over the impressive size of the picture and was bugging on the quality. and all too easily i got the rainbows when i moved my head just a bit ... i played around with all sorts of connections via video in and s video on the x1 .... i want a little more.... but i dont see the big diff in the 30k crt set up in the showroom other than native 16;9 - from the "low level" high contrast dlp. not 27k ....think about how long it takes you to make that $ tax free... legally that is:)

currently i own sony 53" analog rptv
pioneer elite 36tx
sony dvp- n5755v dvd
tivo/directv
klipsch reference series 10" powered sub
polk 1000i main speakers
bose surround /temporary ...looking for dipoles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks