What's new

Please Help Me Select Projector (1 Viewer)

Tom WC

Auditioning
Framing began today in my basement so, after months of research, it is time to choose a projector. Even after lots of research, I am at a loss and need some advice.

Here are my basic plans. The room will not be completely enclosed. Basically, one end of a long room is where the viewing area will be. Behind the projector will be an open space. I have complete light control.

My family watches DVD's, some HDTV (cable), and alot of sports. For a number of reasons, on most occasions, I do not want to watch TV in a completely dark room. This is particularly the case when I have football parties, which happens about every other weekend. I want a large screen(at least 92 in.)for this very reason and have ruled out a large plasma. I prefer 16:9 aspect ratio.

I have budgeted about $15,000 for all components (and cables) needed but have some flexibility there. Obviously, less is better.

First, is it conceivable to watch sports and traditional TV on a front projection system with ambient light present -- or is it just not worth it? If it is, how many lumens and what sort of contrast ratio is needed to make it worthwhile?

Second, any recommendations on whether DLP or the newer LCD's will better fit my needs?

Finally, please make a recommendation of which projector and what type of screen (gain, etc.)you feel best fits my needs?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Tom, if most of your viewing will be with lights on I would not get a front projector. But, if you're talking about pretty dim light you'll be OK. I don't care how bright your projector is, you won't be very happy. Otherwise stick with a large RPTV. Go to Projectorcentral.com and read up, it's a great site.

marc paolella

Auditioning
I have a 110 inch screen and a Sony HS20 projector. I am definitely able to watch TV nicely with some lights on. I often watch with a 75 watt torchiere turned on in the room and some spillover from an adjoining room. For sports, light control is much less critical than for watching movies. In movies there are many dark scenes, But a football game is always a very bright uniform environment. The HS20 puts out plenty of light and watching sports with some incidental light is no problem at all.

Don't even think of an RPTV. Once you've enjoyed a DVD on an 8 foot screen, you're spoiled for life. Puny Plasmas and RPTV's can never bring happiness again.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Tom, only you can decide LCD or DLP after you view them. They both have pros and cons. Some people are affected by "rainbows" with DLP. If not, I like DLP. The older LCD's did not have a high enough contrast ratio, and blacks appeared as dark gray. But the reviews of the new LCD's say that has been fixed(Sony H51, Sanyo Z3, Panasonic 700).
In my last post, I was not trying to push a RPTV. I have a 55" Mits. set and we don't even use it anymore for DVD's, we watch all DVD's on our X1 projector. I also have HD satellite and HD OTA hooked up. There's nothing like watching football in HD with a 106" screen. I still believe that once you start using your projector, you will dim the lights way down or turn them off. It's not like it's pitch black in room when using projector, but the picture is so much better.
Go to Projectorcentral.com and read the reviews of the "Highly Recommended Projectors" in your price range. I think they also tested screens a couple months ago.

Ramon A

Agent
TOM HERE'S MY 2CENTS. i HAVE DONE MUCH INVESTIGATION OVER THE PAST YEAR.
DLP PROJECTERS FROM THE 5 TO 20K
BEST OVER ALL PICTURE SHARP XV12000 AROUND 7K
NEXT BEST AND ONLY JUST SLIGHTLY LESS INFOCUS7405 BUT ALSO SOLD AS TOSHIBA MT8OO COST 5K THESE ARE TWO OF THE BEST DLP PROJECTORS ONTHE MARKET IN THE 5 TO 20 K RANGE. YOU CAN GO TO PLASMASOURCE.COM AND READ THE REVIEWS.
NOW WITH A LOT OF AMBIENT LIGHT THE TOSHIBA KEEPS A VERY GOOD PICTURE AND BRIGHTNES LEVEL, THE SHARP HOWEVER WILL NOT IT'S BEST FOR MOVIE VIEWING. I HAVE DEMOED THE RUNCO710 THE INFOCUS AND THE TOSHIBAMT800 AND THE PICTURE QUALITY ON THE TOSHIBA WITH THE SAME SIGANAL SOURCE BEAT EVERY CRT,PLASMA,LCD AND TUBE IN THE STORE AND BEAT THEM BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS.
IF YOU GO TO NEXTAG.COM YOU CAN FIND THE PROJECTOR FOR AS LOW AS $4,500.
AND A CARADA SCREEN FOR AROUND 500.00 TO 800.00 DEPENDING ON THE SIZE. AND FOR THE REST OF YOUR COMPONENTS I SAY GO HTPC. BUT HEY THATS JUST MY 2CENTS GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY SHOPPING.

Tom WC

Auditioning
Ramon: I am actually considering the Sharp 12000, but it sounds like it does not fair well in ambient light. How did the Runco fair when ambient light was present? Also what screen did you use for your comparisons?

Anyone tried the Sony HS51 LCD or Panny 500 when some ambient light is present?

Ramon A

Agent
tom i saw them on the stewart and the dalite both hi contrast grey
the runco was ok with ambient light but the toshiba and the infocus looked realy good with alot of ambient light
the projectors put out 1100 lumens and the runco and sharp are about 800 or 900
that little bit of extra light makes a big difference for sports events and party situations.
and 1100 is about as bright as dlp's get

Ramon A

Agent
tom and onother thing I did notice some allmost motion sickness when watching the runco on a 10' wide screen in total dark it went away wth a little light.
this may be because of only having a six segment color wheel the newer machines have 7 and 8 segment color wheels and have not noticed this problem. or it could just be me but the runco has a very good picture otherwise.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would personally look at the newer generation of (minimum) 1280x720 DLP or LCD projectors like those mentioned above and combine it with a 100"+ 16x9 screen silver/gray for added contrast ratio (without diminishing the gain too much).

Tom WC

Auditioning
Has anyone had any experience with the Hitachi PJTX100? It specs at a higher lumen output han the Panny and Sony LCD's.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks