What's new

Please help me pick out a DVD recorder (1 Viewer)

Andrew-V

Agent
Hey, I've been reading the boards here since 2000 and finally decided to register.

Anyway, I'm sure you are used to these threads, but I didn't want to invade someone else's with my situation.

So here's the deal:

I have about $300 in store credit at Circuit City and have decided to spend that on a DVD recorder. I am willing to spend slightly more than that if I need to, but I would like to stay in the $250-$350 range, if possible (or maybe even less if there is a decent recorder out there that fits my needs).

I would mainly like to use the recorder to transfer some of my old VHS tapes on to DVD. I'd also like to be able to record TV directly on to a DVD. So I would mainly like to know of any other features that I should consider when purchasing a recorder. I know there is the issue of whether or not I need a hard drive, and I am sort of clueless on that one. If you can recommend any specific models, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Andrew:

I am a complete newbie to DVD Recorders myself. I got my first one for Christmas. I decided on a Philips DVDR615 which was going for about $125 at a local electronics store. I went with the Philips because of its reputable name versus the "no-name" Cyberhome, Tru-Tech or ilo models that are selling for about $100 at places like Wal-Mart or Target. The Philips machine records only DVD+R media...but I have not found that to be any problem at all.

I am looking to do the same types of projects as you...dub old home movies, etc. I have found the capacity to record off-air to be a terrific bonus! :emoji_thumbsup: Once you get the hang of the different techniques in recording onto DVD rather than videotape, I have found it to be just as easy. I have yet to burn a single coaster. I could see where a DVR (with a hard drive) would be a very cool thing to have...but I think I'll wait until they come further down in price...or I get one from my local cable company.

Read as much as you can about the technology before buying. You will get as confused as can be...but learn at the same time. So far, I have not found the choice between DVD+R and DVD-R to be any issue at all. The DVD+Rs from my recorder are playing fine everywhere...and I am then able to burn copies in my PC DVD drives using either DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs. Its all good! :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew-V

Agent
Thanks for the advice.

I must say that transferring my VHS to DVD is my number one priority. I have so many important things stored on video tapes that I am afraid to even watch because I want to prevent deterioration.

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up an LG LRA536 recorder about 6 months ago. It records DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW. I'm quite happy with it.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
One thing I've noticed, is that the biggest difference between recorders is what you have to do to make them record. I'd suggest downloading the manuals of a few players in the same price range and figure out which one is easiest to use.

wally

Second Unit
I have a Toshiba XS34 with HDD. I use it primarily to dub VHS and DV tapes to DVD via S-VHS and FireWire port respectively. I don’t watch much TV so it’s only occasionally that I’ll record a show. I like mine a lot. Pretty easy to produce DVDs with nice menus and all.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If you can hold off until April I would wait because the "New" models will be out.

For more info on DVD Recorders check out www.avsforum.com they have a ton of info on them.

If you have to use the Credits right now I would get the Panasonic model DMR-EH50 that has a Hard Disc Drive in it & I think Circuit City has it on sale now but it doesn't have a DVI input on it for a Digital camera if you need that?

Again, Check the AVS Forum.

Stuart_Gardner

Auditioning
This is an interesting coincidence; I was motivated to sign up on Home Theater Forum only yesterday by the fact that I'm in your precise situation... I've got credit at Circuit City and need advice about DVD recorders. My credit amount is $500.00 and I used a bit of it yesterday to bring home a Sony RDR-GX315, chosen primarily because it handles +RW, +R, -RW and -R, but I've heard that it might not record from DVR units and I've posted about this in this forum but haven't yet had a reply there. I'm grateful to Bill Will for the avsforum link, and I'm going there now.
In the meanwhile if anyone can comment (in my original thread or here) on why a DVD unit might not record from a DVR (which makes no sense whatever), on whether I've made a poor choice and particularly on what Circuit City-carried DVD recorder I should choose on a budget of $500.000 I'll be grateful. My chief concern is that it be +RW, +R, -RW and -R compatible.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks