What's new

PLEASE HELP! Low resolution from my HTPC to my receiver via HDMI (1 Viewer)

L1n3arA

Auditioning
Real Name
Roman
Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction here. I have an HTPC that I built, which until now was connected via HDMI to my Sony Bravia 720p TV. I had optical feeding from my TV to my ancient 5.1 Sony Home Theatre. Everything was just fine, beautiful picture, crisp clean etc. Crappy audio due to no HDMI pass-through on that end, but the picture was outstanding. I just purchased the Sony HT-SS360 Home Theatre in a box which has built in HDMI inputs. Now the sound is amazing, true 5.1 surround via HDMI, I love it. BUT, since HDMI is handling both video and audio, my picture has since turned to crap. Oversaturated colors, blocky, lots of artifacts etc. Pretty much it looks exactly how when you try and connect your tv to any computer at an "unaccepted resolution." It just simply doesn't look right AT ALL.

My HTPC is running windows 7, and I have gone through and tried every predefined resolution possible. Nothing works. Now when connected directly to my TV, the appropriate resolution of 1360 x 768 is automatically determined without any fuss. The HTPC is "understanding" the tv perfectly. But when connected to my receiver, it somehow can't output to my HDTV the right resolution. I am pulling my hair out here trying to fix this... I really would appreciate any help at all... Thanks.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Sounds like your cable is ok. Have your tried switching which input your have your HDMI plugged into? What video card are you running in your HTPC? Did you try upgrading the drivers to your video card? I have an ATI video card and it allows me to go through the set up to see what I have plugged in to it. In my case it correctly identifies my Panasonic monitor. If you have something similar with your card does it identify your Sony Bravia?

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks