What's new

Please help get Conan The Destroyer Uncut released on dvd R1! (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
HELP GET THE UNCUT VERSION OF CONAN THE DESTROYER RELEASED ON DVD!
UPDATED: here is the e-mail address so people can write to universal requesting the conan se dvd, if you are not able to call them.. thank you.
universalstudios&[email protected]

I am still working on getting the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer released on Region 1 DVD. There is a customer service number for Universal Pictures/Home Video 972-293-5903. They are located in Texas. It will be a long distance number. Please be polite when talking with the telephone operator. They will take your request/notes about all titles relating to Universal. Ask them about the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer. I have talked with Sarah about this matter. Sarah's response: I think she would love to see the Conan footage on dvd as well as me so I shall tell her about it. I know that Sarah is also interested in the uncut version of Conan as well as her many fans.
www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
I know that you guys here at the home theatre have had some success with getting certain titles released, letterbox edition films, etc.. I asking you the home theatre audience/fans to help me out here and making this conan the destroyer se possible..
There is a petition for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer over at the home theater forum:You can sign up and respond to the forum about the uncut version of Conan. I want to thank you for calling the number and supporting the Region 1 SE of Conan The Destroyer.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=7365

Jacob

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
What "uncut" version? There's only been one, PG-rated version of this movie, and wasn't the entire intention of this movie that it'd be a more "family oriented" picture in the FIRST place?

While ordinarily I wouldn't doubt Sarah Douglas' claims about cut footage, the director, the rest of the cast, the guys that wrote it -- nobody else has ever said the movie was wrecked in the editing room, or was ruined beyond the original conception of the film.

Richard Fleischer directed the movie, signed off on it, talked about it in a commentary track, as did other cast members (in the international DVD release) -- and not one of them carped about the film having been cut down and ruined to accomodate a PG.

In fact, Fleischer himself said the intent of the movie was that it was more of a lighter, Saturday Matinee type of movie for a wider (younger) audience.

So, whether you agree with that decision or not, I think CONAN THE DESTROYER's PG version is the ONLY version that was ever meant to be seen -- and I wouldn't bug Universal about that particular fact (I'm certain they're not the ones who forced a PG on the movie) unless you want to see the Special Edition DVD features ported over from MGM's international DVD release. THAT'S a different matter and worthy of a petition -- not the movie being re-cut, IMHO.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have info at my site about the uncut scenes.. there is a link to a 1986 interview that sarah talked about the cut scenes. they include a love scene with queen taramis and conan, the queen seducing the statue, and the queen slapping wilt.. among other scenes.. if you read the novelization for the conan the destroyer book.. alot of the scenes are in the book. I know for a fact that it was cut from an R to a PG rating.. even arnold has stated that.. said it was a mistake. I do have the region 2 and 4 of the conan the destroyer se. I even did an interview with greg carson about it.

JACOB

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you guys bitched about the letterboxing at blocbuster, the e.t. and back to the future dvd mess, and scareface.. all of them worked because of the petition.. I don;t see why this cann't work. in my other statement.. MGM could not get the rights to the cut footage.. only universal has the rights. That is what Greg Carson who was the dvd producer told me.

JACOB

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't mind a rerelease with some bonus features, but I really can't see added footage helping this movie. It does not age well.

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see a new cut of this movie for one. It is not the best movie in the world :b but I can never resist anything Arnold.

Just make sure it's 5.1 like the R2 version.

Oh yeah while we are at it can we get the R2 Conan the Barbarian with 5.1

I must hear Basil's musical score in 5.1!

Crom demands it!

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Huh? I thought that Conan was rated R - I swear I remember a nude scene with Sandahl Bergman or whatever her name was...

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Chuck, Sandahl Bergman does indeed have a nude scene - in the first film. The one that Jacob is desperate to see uncut is the sequel! And just to rub it in, I watched the first movie in 5.1 earlier today and it sounds fantastic. There's a real punch to the score that is sorely lacking from the mono mix on the R1. There's even a bit of LFE for some scenes. But the 5.1 mix on Destroyer is crap, so if it ever ends up as a R1 SE I hope it gets properly remixed.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Ido have the region 4 of conan the barbarian.. and the 5.1 does rock. the 5.1 for destroyer is okay. I don;t mind seeing the cut scenes separate from the film.. I would like to do a commentary track on it..

JACOB

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the region 3 of conan the destroyer includes most of the extra features from region 2 and 4. the only thing missing is the interview with the composer basil poledouris.
which I might add is a great interview.
JACOB

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Put my vote in for an uncut version, or at least the deleted scenes.

I just got the R1 version of CTD in a 2-pack with CTB. I almost cringe voting for an uncut version, as I remember finding destroyer a little silly. I haven't watched it yet, and I haven't watched it since the mid 80's when it came out on video. I'm hoping to be surprised!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Oh man... I haven't seen Red Sonia in ages! If I enjoy watching Destroyer as much as I did Conan SE, then yeah, bring on Red Sonia (but for $20!)

Is Arnold actually Conan in this movie? I think he's supposed to be but I haven't seen it for so long I can't remember. (sorry for going off topic, but this thread is making me nostalgic for my child hood. I'm going to have to hunt down The Sword and The Sorcerer now!)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
UPDATED: here is the e-mail address so people can write to universal requesting the conan se dvd, if you are not able to call them.. thank you.

anyone make the call to the universal customer service line?
that is where it counts.. the more people call and say that they want conan the destroyer se for region 1.. the better..
thanks for calling.

JACOB

i saw red sonya on video.. boy did that movie suck.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have updated the first and last post with the e-mail info to contact universal.

JACOB

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see and (here's the key for any studio watchers) would readily buy an anamorphic SE of Conan the Destroyer. I have the non-anamorphic Region 1 edition, which gets me by, but a new SE release is very much needed. Whether cut footage is presented separately or in a seamless branching feature is not a high priority for me (I'd love to see the footage one way or another, though), and for me (I understand others may not feel the same), if Universal feels the inclusion of R-caliber material could hurt sales of this PG film, that wouldn't be a deal breaker. Anamorphic with the Region 2 features would equal a very quick sale for me at anything up to the old "heavyweight" $29.95 studio SE price.

I'd also love to see Red Sonja in anamorphic widescreen on DVD, with either a Richard Fleischer interview/commentary (ala Tora! Tora! Tora!) or retrospective introductory interview (ala The Vikings). If it's either/or, I prefer the first method. I love that movie! The dialogue is absolutely hilarious, and in a good way (it's supposed to be funny, so far as I can tell). Visually, the film is also a treat, but that's difficult to appreciate in P&S. I don't recall if Arnold is actually Conan in the film; I seem to recall references to him as a barbarian king or something, but nameless, but it's been years since I last watched the picture in its entirety (I see that the IMDB lists him as a character named Kalidor, so I'll defer to that in the absence of a clear memory).

Keep up the good fight, Jacob; Conan and Fleischer deserve better in Region 1. :emoji_thumbsup:

Luis S

Supporting Actor
As I understand it he was supposed to be Conan. But some rights issues prevented that in the end. Dont remember where I heard that though. I think it was in Bridgets bio on E!.....

Luis S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks