Please help a newbie.....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by hotstang46, Sep 10, 2006.

1. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

Hello all[​IMG] ........

Just moved and am going to go buy a TV today for my new house. Direct TV isn't even hooked up yet and I need to get moving so I can catch football for next weekend.

I have a couple questions.....first of all, the layout of my TV room is TERRIBLE....I am thinking about this TV ....http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/P...PS4253XXAA.asp

but it's only 720p. I can't afford the pioneer elite's with the 1080p though. I see westinghouse has a 42 in m price range though. So would I rather go with a (offbrand I guess) westinghouse with the 1080p or the samsung? Also I was considering a projector becuase my TV mounting and placement options are so limited in my large room but am worried about the brightness of the picture during the day. It will have no direct light at any point in time, and it's not the brightes room either...

I really appreciate any of your guys help, this room has been driving me nuts and I've been researching for countless hours the last couple of days!!

2. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

some additional details.....again sorry, I have limited experience but am trying to learn....I think i should include the projector I'm looking at is about 3 grand and was from best buy......and I'm going to be using the set up in this room mostly for TV with maybe 1 or 2 movies per week..... Hope that's everything, just looking for some helpful advide or opinions...

3. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Chris - First questions to ask would be what your lighting conditions are, what the projector distance will be, amd what the screen size will be? I assume your $3,000 budget includes both projector and screen.

Take a look at the Panasonic PT-AE900U LCD ($1,700 at Amazon) and Optoma HD72 DLP ($1,800 at Amazon). For screens I recommend Da-Lite, Carada or Stewart (screens typically range from $500-$1,500 depending on your requirements).

If you are still considering a plasma, stick to Fujitsu, Hitachi, Panasonic or Pioneer. Their 720p sets are all vastly superior to the 1080p Westinghouse sets.

4. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

HERE'S THE ROOM IN QUESTION.........YOU CAN SEE THE CABINET, IT WAS MADE TO HOUSE A 36, SO IF I WENT THE PLASMA ROUTE i WOULD HAVE AN ARM ATTACHED TO THE BACK OF THAT CAVITY. LARGEST I COULD DO WOULD BE A 42, AND EVEN THAT WOULD NOT RECESS IN THERE, SO THERE WOULD BE A GAP WHEN YOU WALK PAST THE WINE BAR TO THE RIGHT THAT YOU COULD SEE......A 50 WOULD HAVE TO STICK OUT PAST THE FIREPLACE AND HAVE ALMOST A 4 FOOT LONG ARM........ABOVE THE FIREPLAE WOULD BE WHERE I WOULD MOUNT THE RETRACTABLE SCREEN SHOULD I GET A PROJETOR.

[​IMG]

5. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

THIS IS WHERE I WILL BE MOUNTING THE PROJECTOR, ABOUT 28 FEET AWAY FROM THE SCREEN......

[​IMG]

6. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

HERE IS A PIC STANDING FROM THE FRONT DOOR LOOKING AT THE ROOM, I TOOK THIS ONE WITH THE FLASH OFF TO GIVE SOME IDEA OF THE LIGHT IN THE ROOM, THERE WILL ALSO BE A SHAG RUG ON THE FLOOR TO CUT DOWN ON THE REFLECTION.

[​IMG]

7. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

I appreciate any and all advice...I would like a larger tv than the 42 plasma and think the projector would be my best bet for a big screen.....I just know nothing about them as I never thought I'd own one and thus haven't kept up with that technology...

as you can see I'm waiting to put all my furniture into this room until I figure things out....any help you guys can give would be great....and the reason for not mounting a big plasma in the same place is because above the fireplace on the rocks...it's a big waterfall and the plasma can not be moved to sit down and enjoy the waterfall....

what do you guys think??? thanks

8. TicoTVA

TicoTVA Stunt Coordinator

Definitely go with the Samsung, its a much stronger brand then westinghouse
    Great vivid picture and affordable. They emerged as a leader in the past few years. Pioneer /NEC are my top choice though
    also from your pic, you have great place over the fireplace or the opposing wall . I'd also recommend and articulating arm so that you can view TV from a kitchen if you want.

My rankings in plasma "consumer"

Pioneer/NEC
    Samsung,Panasonic Hitachi
    Toshiba /JVC

lower level
    Maxent
    westinghouse
    Sanyo/daewoo - relabeled brands HP/Dell...

ticotva
    tico@tvauthority.com
    www.tvauthority.com

9. TicoTVA

TicoTVA Stunt Coordinator

You have a lot of light in this room. a project isnt a good idea unless you can control the light.
    If you did go that route i'd advise blackout curtains.

10. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

I would rank plasma's as follows:

1. Runco
    2. Fujitsu, Pioneer Elite
    3. Panasonic, Hitachi, Pioneer
    4. Samsung, LG-Phillips (both brands up and coming)
    5. All the rest (Westinghouse, Maxent, etc, all to be avoided)

Also I certainly wouldn't recommend purchasing a Toshiba set. They used to rebrand Panasonic plasma's, but they have now switched manufacturers to Orion (Sansui) in Thailand, and quality has dropped dramatically.