What's new

Please give your opinions on my HT System I put together from Craigslist? (1 Viewer)

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
Hi, I am new to the Forum. My room is 24 x 14 ft I use it 50% for Music and 50% for surround movies. I spent about $600 and it sounds like ear candy to me.
Sony STR V555ES 600 watts 5.1 surround $50
2 DCM TF-600 for mains $125
2 DCM TF-600 for surrounds $150
1 Definitive tech C-1 for the center (came with the DCMs)
1 Klipsch SW-12 Subwoofer $125
1 Samsung BD-C6500 WiFi Blu Ray $75
I use Analog 5.1 cables and let the Blu Ray decode HD Audio signals. Bass management is controlled with the Amplifier.I also use an optical cable for DTS signals.
Could I have done Better with a Theater in a Box? Please give your feedback .

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hi David and welcome to HTF! I've moved your thread to the beginners and HTIB section since you are looking for actual answers and not just saying hi! =)
I'm not a big HTIB user so perhaps others can comment with more specificity but here's my opinion: If it sounds good to you don't second guess yourself. Enjoy your setup and don't look at another review or advertisement until you decide it's REALLY time to upgrade!

Real Name
Darron Sanders
Welcome Dave,
With the equipment you bought you will have better sound then if you went with a brand new HTiB system. You have bigger cabinets and better quality drivers in the speaker cabinets.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
Thanks for your feedback. The receiver is 120 watts rms per channel at .05% THD. it is older with no HDMI inputs. But it has alot of power and great sound. My Blu Ray has analog 5.1 out so i can still get TRU HI Def sound. Is there another weak point in the receiver besides not having the HDMI inputs?
Regards
David

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
What receiver would you recommend? remember, I listen to Music 50% or more. What price range would a receiver with the same sound quality as the sony be?

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
mccambley said:
Sony is not the best receiver company, there strengths are in video. If you need to upgrade in the future choose a Denon or Onkyo for a better choice.
I have done some research and Sony ES Model Receivers have a reputation for Sound Quality. What would a dennon or onkyo with similar specs and HDMI inputs cost? Would I hear a big difference is the important question? HDMI inputs alone are not that critical for me to spend $700 on. Sound is the important issue for me.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
mccambley said:
These are really good deals! But the amplifier specifications do not even come close to the Sony 120 watts RMS @ 8 ohms .05% THD I am using now. In my opinion this would be a down grade in sound quality.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
First, I doubt the Sony is giving you 120 watts. Those numbers are almost always exaggerated.

Second, even if it is, the difference between 75 and 120 watts is less than a 3db increase (depending on the efficiency of your speakers). That is not much (almost not perceivable). However, you don't need as much power as you may think to power most home theaters. Unless your room is HUGE, 75 or 120 watts is plenty.

If the receiver works well keep it. Just keep in mind when it is time to get a new one - Sony is not terrible, but you can do better.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
BTW - I'm not familiar with those speakers but I'm betting they beat anything else you could find for the price you paid.

Enjoy.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
David Willow said:
BTW - I'm not familiar with those speakers but I'm betting they beat anything else you could find for the price you paid.  
Enjoy.  :rock:
Thanks for you reply. Here is some Info on the DCM speakers. They are full range towers and shine with power. I am a newbie to this forum but not to Hi Fi audio. There is a big difference in clarity between 75 watts and 120 watts RMS when it come to playing Music. also THD comes into play as you turn up the volume. I guess it becomes more evident when playing music ( I love it loud and Clear). The STR V555ES is one of the cleanest amps i have listened to and weighs twice as much as the above recomended receivers. That is a good indication of the components and build quality of the amplification. I just can't see replacing the Sony Monster Amp with something less. The sony retailed for $1300 new for a reason.The ES models are much better build quality than other sony amps. Don't let the name Sony fool you.Do some research on the ES models. I am sure the newer amps have some features the Sony does not. but to sacrafice sound clarity is not an option for me. I think i would have to spend alot more money to get equal the sound quality. I just can't justify it in my Budget. No love for Sony in this Forum? I will consider Yamaha , Denon, Onkyo for my next purchase. Thanks again for the recomendations.
http://www.dcmspeakers.com/manuals/TF600.pdf
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/dcm/timeframe-tf-600/prd_119364_1594crx.aspx

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
Casey, This is very good information. I could not find the HT labs measures for my receiver online.If you can find it i would appreciate it. but exaggerated Specs holds true for all manufactures. The Denon 3312 is a much more powerful and expensive ($1,100) amplifier than the 1312 you had mentioned. much heavier to i might add. I would bet the Sony has very similar in amplification results judging by the weight and specs of the amplifier.The mfg specs are very similar except for the fact that there are 5 descrete channels to drive instead of 7. I would love to see the out come of the HT labs results. Thanks for the great information. I will just have to make my own judgements for now untill the results come in. My conclusion for now is that if it's not broken don't fix it. My Sony Rocks the whole house with Crisp, Clean, Warm and Undistorted Music and Surround sound at high volumes with out even pushing it. For me, It is ear candy. Thanks again!
David

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Generally speaking Sony receivers aren't first on the list of recommendations, even the ES series. But I down-loaded the manual and that looks like a heck-uv-a deal for $50! A newer receiver would get you Audyssey or some other room correction eq but I've kind of reverted back to Pure Analog recently. Still good stuff though.
Are you sure the Sony is doing bass management for the 5.1 ch analog inputs? I didn't see anything in the manual to suggest that it does (but I admittedly skimmed through it pretty quickly). Try letting the player do the bm and see if there's improvement (or not).
Listen to a lot of music do ya? Then consider a universal blueray player for DVD-A/SACD. Quite a bit more expensive then a standard BR but oh so sweet!. I just bought an OPPO BDP-80 off ebay for $219 shipped. An OPPO 83SE would put you in a different world :yum: but they go for about $550 used. Pioneer and Elite have released a couple of universal BR players recently. Used prices should drop pretty quickly. If your a stereo nut and not interested in surround sound music then get a used OPPO dv-970/980/981 and hook the front analogs to any un-sed analog input on the Sony. I think my favorite sounding system was an H/K 7200 with the OPPO 83se via 5.1 analogs. Should have kept them.
A universal remote from Harmony is a good way to spend all that extra cash you have laying around. The 880 is pretty popular ($50-$75?).
I also don't know much about DCM speakers but have only good things. Infinty Beta's are my favorite used speakers for the money.
Don't forget surge protectors for everything including the sub.
For $600 the best you could do is the Onkyo HT-9400. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9400/Onkyo-HT-S9400-THX-7.1-Ch-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker/1.html
But you would still need a BR player. You did pretty good :tu:

Real Name
Darron Sanders
So, so true. And the specific reason that Denon and Onkyo are superior to a Sony receiver is they are high-current. They have better built power supplies, better slew rates and damping factors, (near a separate amplifier). A Sony looks sexy, but cannot drive lower impedance speakers and never run speakers A and B simultaneously. Sony’s have that nasty protection error pop up in the LCD if they over heat. A Denon, or Onkyo is worth the cost increase. Crutchfield has a good selection of these receivers.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
There are a lot of Sony haters in this forum and maybe for good reasons, but you can't honestly sugguest that I purchase an Onkyo TX-NR509 or the Denon AVR-1312 and it will out perform (More power and cleaner sound) the Sony STR V555ES. Sony must be putting lead in there receivers to make them heavy Instead of using large Power transformers. The STR V555ES weighs as much as the two amps put together.I am not a Big Sony fan but I do know what I hear. The Sony is a Monster! with Warm nondistorted Audiophile sound. I do know The more power an amp has the heavier it is and the more expensive also. Look at the weight to power ratio and it is almost allways consistant. Just my thoughts. I am sure I can spend $600 and get a better amp but I don't need another amp. I am happy with the Monster Sony I have. If you could hear it you would surely agree. If you get a chance try one and you just might agree that it really is not a bad amp after all. When or if it dies I will be here for your sugguestions, just as long as they are equal to or better than My Monster. Thanks for your sugguestion again.
Regards
David

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm more in the Sony discourager category. They aren't particularly bad at the mid/high end, but they try and charge a premium for the "Sony name". Not nearly as bad as Bose, but it bugs me. The lower end Sony products are bad, as they are typically non-expandable HTIBs (unlike the Onkyos and a few others that provide a real receiver even in the HTiB class.)
I do know The more power an amp has the heavier it is
I'm not positive, but I believe that's only true for class B amps. Class C and D amps, which many are these days, don't follow that heuristic.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
I should change this thread name to Sony Haters. LOL. I just thought that if I was to buy a new amplifier it would be one that is an improvement over the one I have. not a down grade. Like I said "I am Not a Big Sony fan" But it does Rock the House for now.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
David,

For $50 there is NOTHING wrong with the Sony. No need to justify your purchase here. Just keep in mind if (when) you get a new receiver there are better options.

Now quit reading the forum and watch a few movies.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think "haters" is accurate either :) . Sony ES receivers are fine. The basic models like the 520, 820, etc. are heavy on features but come up a little short on performance compared to most other brands, as do many of the lower end consumer level receivers. The Sony ES model you bought looks pretty good to me, considering it's vintage. And the specs Casey listed in post #14 really are very good. IMO you would need to spend upwards of $700 (just pulled a number out of the air really) on a new receiver to get a noticable improvement in sound quality. And that would come by using a newer receivers advanced processing. Something like the Onkyo 709, Denon 3312 or Marantz 6006. You could chase after better sound quality by buying receiver after receiver but more than likely you wouldn't hear that much of a difference and would end up back where you started. If you have a good Sony ES receiver and you're happy with it then keep it. If you were starting from scratch, Sony might not be the first Brand mentioned (or the second, or... :) ) because receivers with Audyssey, MCACC, etc. really can have an impact on the sound you hear depending on how much room correction is needed.
If you really want an increase in sound quality then a good stereo pre-amp, like the Emotiva USP-1 or Parasound 2100 is the way to go, along with an external stereo amp ($$$). $50 for a V555ES in good working order was a pretty good deal.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
From what I understand Speakers should be the #1 investment when it comes to a HT budget ($600 for mine). They will last for many years with out having to upgrade. Electronics are allways changeing forceing us to upgrade to keep up with the latest technology. Speakers have not changed much over the last 30 years. So I spent most of my Budget money on them. Did I do the right thing spending most of my money on the speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks