What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (2 Viewers)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Watched the first color episodes last night after a summer of black and white episode lead up. What a year for PP in 66. Those first episodes in color really look great. Wish we had the show restored.

I also watched the two first episode from 1964 from Shout video. I say once again to fans. Shout did a nice job. I would buy these two volumes even though they did not release more episodes.

I enjoyed hearing constantly on the Dark Shadows credits plugs on what tonights episode of PP would be about. The show received quite a lot of them in DS credits from 66 and beyond.

I am also thinking of buying the new Blu-ray of Valley of the Dolls coming out at the end of the month. I do not have a copy of the movie and this would be a way of getting the very beautiful Barbara Parkins in Blu-ray.

Well with the fall here now I can settle back and watch all my 60s favorites as we approach Winter here in the Midwest.
Mark

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I love how they stated this little soap opera Dark Shadows appeared during the high rated Peyton Place in 1966. This was written during the great series programs that came out of this year.

PP should be out there for people to see in it's grand color and the great sets.

Laura and the Seven Year itch props are there. The most important are the actors which George Macready is the focus as Martin Peyton. What a great actor. Thank you George.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
wish PP were released in full, it's a great show !

I keep being reminded of it when I keep seeing PP stars in various guest star roles in other shows reruns - Dorothy Malone in 'Streets of San Francisco', Tim O'Connor in 'Gunsmoke', Christopher Connolly in 'Ironside', Dan Dureya in 'Bonanza', Henry Beckman (Betty's Dad early on) in everything from 'The Wild Wild West' to 'Quincy, M.E.' to 'The X Files'...!

George Macready was a great character actor - he's in that memorable episode of 'The Outer Limits'; 'Production and Decay of Strange Particles' (with a cameo by Leonard Nimoy), and played an elderly publisher Glenn Howard in the 1966 pilot TV Movie 'Fame is The Name of The Game' - pilot of 'The Name of The Game' TV show (1968-71), where Gene Barry played Glenn

I always feel George's version was 'Glenn Howard Snr' the father of the later TV series regular younger alternating star character

PP had so many top stars in it, it really should get a full DVD release !

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I get the idea of wanting your favorite show to come out (or finish up) on DVD. However, I don't get the point of saying that it SHOULD come because it's "a good show" or it's the anniverasary or a cast member has died. Those are not legitimate reasons for a show to be released. Otherwise everyone's favorite shows would be out.

Has it really not occurred to anyone that PP isn't finished on DVD because of a lack (or feared lack) of sales?

Sales count, kids!

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
perhaps a good show should come out so that people can enjoy decent acting, directing and storylines ?

.....and maybe past creative talent hopefully just might inspire people to aim to achieve higher quality television and the arts in general today

if you forever just measure EVERYTHING in terms of making a 'fast buck' and see a DVD release of a show only in terms of only how MUCH it will sell etc.....you are going down the obssesive materialistic route of purely aiming at just making money all the time and while you may end up having tons of cash - big deal - you also get a very 'soul-less' attitude and all the poorer quality of life.....

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
At this point, I would just be happy if they put it back in reruns on television. I'll DVR it myself. There are so many retro channels out there that there is room for PP. More people would watch it if it was on free TV since not everyone would buy it. I think Get TV would be a perfect channel. They are currently showing some old Fox series, plus their mix of classic movies, variety, and talk shows makes PP a natural.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
It's not like Peyton Place was some obscure show that nobody watched. It was a hit show and a pop culture touchstone of the 1960s. It was before my time, so I did a blind buy on the DVDs and really enjoyed it. I'd be the first in line (well, maybe second behind Mark) to purchase the rest.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
if you look at the actors involved and the films they went onto...

Barbara Parkins and Lee Remick in 'Valley of The Dolls' (with 'Do You Know The Way To San Jose' on the soundtrack)

Mia Farrow in 'Rosemary's Baby'

Ryan O'Neal in 'Love Story', 'Paper Moon', 'A Bridge Too Far'

let alone the vast works of actors like Ed Nelson, Dorothy Malone, George Macready, Dan Dureya, Tim O'Connor, Christopher Connolly etc....

even well known actors such as Lola Albright and Wilfred Hyde White were 'special guest deputy stars' too...!

that alone makes the show of notable importance in Television and worth a re-watch...plus it was a link between the film from the fifties 'Little New England' world....and on into the permissive sixties counter culture dealing with power struggles, clandestine affairs, pregnancy out of wedlock, domestic violence, drink problems, plus a couple of notable murders etc..commonplace themes today but often very taboo subjects back in the early sixties

it foresaw the rise in popularity of the seventies soaps such as 'Dallas', 'Dynasty' etc

it's even referenced in Jeannie C. Riley's hit song 'Harper Valley PTA'...!

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I want to give thanks
to all that responded. Please watch the shout episodes. My friend Glen bought them for a good price. Also gave a tip that the original movie may be coming out HD

PP I hope with Lee Grant George Macready Gena Rowlands and a cast of thousands will someday be relased.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, can you give me your opinion if you think Peyton Place was a stronger show than say Dallas or Dynasty. Looking back, there's a part of me that is ashamed I ever watched the two eighties soaps. In hindsight, the programs never really went anywhere IMHO at least in terms of character development or where the stories ended up. For example, after sixteen or seventeen years, Was JR ever brought to justice for all his nefarious deeds? I know. I know how the character's fate in the revived series.

Anyway, I'm digressing. I should be asking PP fans what are the series strongest moments? Those instances that you thought the acting or drama was outstanding. Just so that I may get intrigued?

James

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
Guys, can you give me your opinion if you think Peyton Place was a stronger show than say Dallas or Dynasty. Looking back, there's a part of me that is ashamed I ever watched the two eighties soaps. In hindsight, the programs never really went anywhere IMHO at least in terms of character development or where the stories ended up. For example, after sixteen or seventeen years, Was JR ever brought to justice for all his nefarious deeds? I know. I know how the character's fate in the revived series.

Anyway, I'm digressing. I should be asking PP fans what are the series strongest moments? Those instances that you thought the acting or drama was outstanding. Just so that I may get intrigued?

James

At the risk of being a shameless self-promoter... I highlighted some of my selections for the most memorable moments of the series here:

http://jacksonupperco.com/2015/02/25/ten-memorable-moments-from-peyton-place-season-one/

http://jacksonupperco.com/2015/04/01/twelve-memorable-moments-from-peyton-place-season-two/

http://jacksonupperco.com/2015/05/06/ten-memorable-moments-from-peyton-place-season-three/

http://jacksonupperco.com/2015/06/03/eight-memorable-moments-from-peyton-place-season-four/

http://jacksonupperco.com/2015/07/08/five-memorable-moments-from-peyton-place-season-five/

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
James and our last posts. I only wish Fox or Shout would put this show out on MOD. The show needs to be put on ME TV and then perhaps like suggested Get TV.

Thanks to all who still remember this show as a kid like me. Who remembers their teacher in school stateing do your homework and not watch Peyton Place. true story.
Mark

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
At this point, I would just be happy if they put it back in reruns on television. I'll DVR it myself. There are so many retro channels out there that there is room for PP. More people would watch it if it was on free TV since not everyone would buy it. I think Get TV would be a perfect channel. They are currently showing some old Fox series, plus their mix of classic movies, variety, and talk shows makes PP a natural.

There were ample opportunities to record it from Fox Net or The Romance Channel.

Mitchell Hadley

Auditioning
There were ample opportunities to record it from Fox Net or The Romance Channel.
True that, but it may also be that, because of this or other discussions, they're now curious about the show, whereas they might not have been interested in it before, or might not have had a DVR at the time. But now they'd like to check it out, and if they already have the DVDs that were released, maybe they'd like to see more episodes. Isn't that in fact one of the purposes of these discussion boards - to grow the hobby, to share information about programs, to get people interested in shows they might not have been aware of before? How many times have we read someone on this board who's purchased a show as a blind buy, purely on the basis of recommendations from others?

I don't disagree that there are several series out there I wish I'd recorded at the time, and perhaps I should have, but that shouldn't bar me from expressing the desire that they be shown today, or the wish that they receive a proper release. Rather than condescend to them, we ought to encourage their passion, and support their desires. There's no reason for us to behave like a group of Shakers. (No offense to any actual Shakers out there...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks