Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread*

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Charles Ellis, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I can't wait to see this show again. Only another week or two, and my sets -- yes, sets -- will arrive. [​IMG]

Mark Collins likes this.
  2. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Thank You for the SCREEN SHOTS of Dorothy Malone and Ed Nelson. I think they made a better couple than Tim O'Connor and Malone !!!

I still would have preferred they followed the book story line with Michael Rossi

and Constance Mackenzie, in the book her maiden name is Standish and not Swain and she is not related to Matthew Swain. Swain is the town Doctor and Rossi is a high school Principal................. I wonder how Elliot Carson wound up in the series ?? Because Allison's father was from New York not Peyton Place.....................

However, LOVE THE PHOTOS !!!

3. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    Welcome Jon and Billy glad to see more first time fans and the great reactions. Thanks again Ron for photos!! Billy like Alan where did you get your sets??? They opened a used cd dvd games store in my area. I went looking for Peyton Place but no sale. I am in away glad though because new fans are buying the show and I think that is just great!! I am getting a good feeling about this.

4. vincefan

vincefan Stunt Coordinator

Thanks so much for your good wishes. You are so right. A Ben Casey release would help Matt Lincoln. There were sixteen episodes plus the pilot film titled Dial Hot Line, which also starred Vince Edwards and Kim Hunter. All episode titles were people's names.

5. vincefan

vincefan Stunt Coordinator

Hi Charles. Paramount owns the rights to Ben Casey. Their e-mail address is phe_customerservice@paramount.com Matt Lincoln is owned by Universal. e-mail is USHE.consumerrelations@bydeluxe.com[​IMG]

6. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Maybe you should contact Timeless Media- they license some of the older Universal shows for DVD release, like Wagon Train.

7. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Paul Mavis has posted his review of the set over at DVD Talk.
    He seems to agree with everything that I already posted about the set and show regarding the transfers, writing, acting, etc.
    I like it when he writes, "Repeatedly, characters talk around subjects, causing the other characters in the conversation to ask, "What do you mean by that?" before the conversation shifts to another level, leaving the viewer to really listen and interpret what's going on (believe it or not, some episodes have a Mamet-like strangeness to their word selection and phrasing, aided by the skill of the performers)."
    I noticed that especially when they were talking about Betty's pregnancy.
    Here's the link:
    Peyton Place - Part One : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

Mark Collins likes this.
  8. Charles Ellis

You must remember that in 1964, though censrship was loosening in movies, it was quite tight in TV land. You could see James Bond in bed with every girl he could get his hand on, but Rob and Laura Petrie had to deal with twin beds! For a show like this, the writers had to be creative in getting past the dreaded censors with 'coded' dialogue, pauses (known in the soap world as 'beats') and shots that pretty much explained what was really going on. Later on in the show, a female character loses her virginity and is given advice by another character to 'be careful': from watching the scenes in question you know that there was sex involved. Back then, PP was called "The show that comes in a plain brown wrapper", and "TV's first situation orgy", making it as cutting edge in its day as Sex In The City and Queer As Folk would be decades later.
    When I watched the show for the first time, I was amazed with what they actually got away with, considering the tight network restraints. The key to watching PP is watching it in its context of a show of its time: it's the mid-60s, Donna Reed was still on the air, and people had yet to hear names like Gloria Steinem, Abbie Hoffman, Linda Lovelace or Stokely Carmichael. Ronald Reagan was still acting, Vietnam was just some place the French lost in a war a decade earlier, and people could actually go out and leave their door unlocked!

9. nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk Supporting Actor

Do they ever reply to emails you send?

10. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

I really enjoyed this article on DVD Talk Review! Nicely written and it is very complimentary on our show! Check it out if you haven't already!
    Jack

11. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Love the review on DVD TALK !!!

And his screen shots are great !!!!

Thanks !!!!

12. Charles Ellis

I had some great news today: a few weeks ago I wrote to Ed Nelson ("Dr. Rossi"), and sent some photos for him to autograph, and they came back, beautifully signed. If anyone needs Mr. Nelson's address, please PM me.

Ahhhh- just a few days before the official release......

13. Jack Cleveland

Hooray! Just received an email that my Peyton Place discs have been shipped from Amazon!!

14. Charles Ellis

Same here!

15. Mark Collins

Mark
    Charles the day is here less then 24 hours. I to received my notice from the big river same day as you and Jack. Pay close attention this is for you Charles.

Now on the eve of the Peyton Place release I have a few words to say. First when I had to vote for the series I most wanted on Dvd Peyton Place was my first choice. I then much later joined this forum to post for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I then looked for Peyton Place sure enough there it was but not to many posts at the time. I left a few and then quit. I thought with DVD on demand I might get it 10 years from now. I learned from Posts and other means that Charles Ellis had been lobbyed along time with tireless effort to bring this show to dvd. The odds seemed very much against him. The only nightime soap that was being released was Dallas. The others were only 1 season or not release at all. The later shows also seemed to have a much larger fan base and were more recent. The odds of a nightime soap which aired over 40 years ago to show up on dvd seemed out of the question. The fact of this never occured to one Charles Ellis. Charles kept the name of Peyton Place out there where ever he went. The seed he planted started to take root. The rest is Peyton Place history. Charles without question you are the patriarck of this show along with Martin Peyton and we all old fans and new alike owe you a huge debt of grattiude.

Thankyou so very very much!

Mark

16. Charles Ellis

Wow. I am truly humbled. First Chuck gets renewed, and now this....

17. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I must register my excitement about tomorrow's release as well.

This was my 'holy grail' and i never, ever expected it to be released on dvd...so...tomorrow is a holiday for me.

Mark Collins likes this.
  18. Charles Ellis

IT'S HERE!!
    So far, the quality of the prints used is far better than what was used on the Romance Classics showing. They even show the old TCFTV logo at the end of each episode! The menus are excellent, they use sound bites from the episodes as an enticement for what's ahead. We all have to go to the Shout! Factory site and leave thanks and notes of encouragement to release more episodes- and spread the word to fellow classic TV/soap opera fans!

19. Jack Cleveland

Glad you got yours Charles!! Still waiting here, but I'm glad yours beat mine! Happy viewing!

Jack

20. Mark Collins

Mark
    Let me second that Jack and I am still waiting too. Do you think you might use Peyton Place as a teaching tool as you did with DS?

Mark