What's new

Please explain the ending of the Shining. (1 Viewer)

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
A big contrast the movie vs. the mini/book is the characterization of Wendy. King portrays her as a strong woman, yet envious of a special bond Danny and Jack seem to share. Kubrick's Wendy comes across as so passive and weak. Doesn't hurt the plot any, but her character (Duvall) seems so much more 1-dimentional that DeMornay.

I also never feel that Nicholson's Jack feels any love towards Danny, while Weber's Jack does. (I'm a huge Steven Weber fan because I loved "Wings" can't help it). Jack's character also seems so much more dynamic in the book/mini (struggling with alcoholism, wanted to publish the Overlook's history, trying to spite Ullman...) If you've dealth with alocoholism, the scene in the book with the ownerless bicycle can be especially haunting I imagine.

I really disliked both Danny's and Duvall's whining gets a little excessive. Both movies suffer from poor casting choices I think. But both can certainly coexist (along with the book).

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks