What's new

Please do not purchase Accidental Spy (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The US disc is missing 20min and has had the score altered and the soundtrack dubbed
The proper OSL is about a 50/50 mix of Cantonese and English
Please purchase the legit R0 release by Universe Laser & Video which features more extras (albeit untranslated) and a full bitrate DTS track (unfortunately not anamorphic however) for half the price at a fine retailer like http://www.dddhouse.com

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Just out of curiosity, how is this movie? Most of the latest Chinese movies of his that I have seen - Gorgeous jumps to mind - have been...less than good IMO. And to keep this software related, how is the transfer?

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Jeff, is there somewhere I can find information regarding the alterations made to this title? BVHE sent it to me for review, and I'd like to know what changes have been made.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Once again Disney disrespects Hong Kong film makers and fans.
This must be part of Disney's "Golden Showers" series of DVD's.

I have heard very mixed reviews at best for ACCIDENTAL SPY but I will be purchasing the uncut version from DDDHOUSE.

I couldn't attend the test screening that they had NJ because I had to work. They hate me and ignore what I write on their little questionaires anyway. If they listened, they wouldn't have cut IRON MONKEY and replaced the music. They also wouldn't have cut and dubbed SHAOLIN SOCCER.

Jeff -
Thanks for the update. Now if we could just figure out how bad they are treating THE KILLER!
Matt

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
The original audio is actually a mix of Cantonese, Mandarin, English, Korean, Turkish, and I think a bit of Japanese.
Also Gorgeous was cut to shreds as well for the US release.
However, the HK Gorgeous cut and HK Accidental Spy, are not his best movies and ones that I did think were a little long in the middle; but that is no excuse for 20 minutes. Heck, I think Gorgeous has more cut out of it.
Bastards :angry:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, I wanted to keep it simple, and there are very few non Cantonese/English lines.

I have not seen the US cut, but I'm sure there will be some reports around soon on specifically what was cut, but if I had to guess they cut the entire super Anthrax section including the CIA parts (aka, the entire reason why Jackie is on his quest and being chased around) and dubbed what they couldn't cut into oblivion

I'll post a list if I find one, as I refuse to even rent the US disc

Basically please, if it's a Hong Kong film with the Disney, Touchstone, Miramax or Dimension logo on it, do not buy it because it's cut, dubbed and butchered

New Line did the same thing with their Jackie Chan films

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Way ahead of you, Jeff! I picked up the Universe version last month for $15 CDN.

After reading many comments on how less respectable releases have shorter cuts (i didn't know this was so prevalent) in addition to choosing to English-dub with no option for original soundtrack (i did know this), I'll be sticking with Universe and other similarly respectable companies (Mei Ah, Hong Kong Legends).

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I am 99.9% certain that THE KILLER and HARD BOILED will be the r-rated cuts and be dubbed in English. The running time for pre-orders of THE KILLER are for the 104 minute r-rated version. CD Universe also lists it as non-anamorphic. The r-rated cut of HARD BOILED is listed as the same running time as the uncut version when looking at the old r-rated Fox Lorber video run time and Disney's DVD.
The Criterion DVD's will double in price on Ebay.
It will be cheaper to buy an all region Malata player and get the upcoming Hong Kong Legends DVD of the KILLER that will blow every other version of the movie away.
There is a slim chance that Mei Ah will be releasing HARD BOILED anamorphically sometime in the future. This is only speculation but the current release has dropped in price and Mei Ah promised to start releasing some older classic titles with new anamorphic transfers. Anything is possible.

Matt

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Wow, I didnt see this thread til now..Ive had the R0 HK release of Accidental Spy for a good 6 months and wondered if it would ever get a better transfer for the R1 release...now it sounds like I wont even touch the disc with a 10 foot pole.

This isnt one of Jackies best movies ever, but its alot better than some of his worst. I did like the dts track on it, but missed the 16x9 enhancement. Oh well, I will keep my uncut R0 release.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
dont buy accidental spy, simply because it sucks ass big time. i have watched all jacky chan movies since i was a little kid, and accidental spy could be one of the worst.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy Accidental Spy, I agree his new stuff isn't as good as the old, but then again, Jackie is getting old and he can't pull off everything he used to

Frankly, the market chase is the funniest thing I've seen him do in years, and it's worth the price for the R0 just for that

YANG

Screenwriter
Out of all JACKIE CHAN's previous works,only "Mr.CANTON AND LADY ROSE" is the best...to me.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
For both the "Killer" and "Hard Boiled," alternatives to the Criterion DVDs are the Winstar dvd releases, which can still be found on the shelves in many stores (some as a two back) for an average price of $15-20 each.

The Winstar "killer" and "hard Boiled" are the same 110 and 126 minute cuts respectively that director John Woo prefers as the Criterion releases. They are in non anamorphic widescreen just like the Criterion versions, and may be from the same video master though I do not know that for sure. Audio/video quality on the Winstar releases are okay at best, and they suffer in the number of extras in comparrison to the Criterion releases. Both have trailers and director's commentary, but are different commentaries from those found on the Criterion releases.

The Winstar DVD of the Killer also retains the "Mickey Mouse" and "Dumbo" translation of the names the Killer and the Cop refer to each other as at the end of the movie just as was done in the original theatrical cut translations that toured art houses several years back. With Disney now holding domestic rights, I wonder if that will remain or be changed to distance the violence from their animated characters?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks