Please clarify - DVD's @ 720P??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve_Cohen, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Steve_Cohen

Steve_Cohen Stunt Coordinator

I just had one of those annoying conversations with a coworker where the think they know everything about everything and are always right. Anyway, he stated he has this great samsung dvd player (probably the 841 - he didn't know) that plays the dvd's that are encoded @ 720P. My response was, "you mean the dvd's are upconverted from 480 on that player to 720p or 1080i". Of course at this point a small argument occurred and I finally agreed with him just to get out of the conversation. While I'm no expert, I am a student of this forum and am pretty sure all current dvd's are encoded @ 480 (i or p?) and upconvert on a player like the samsung. Can someone clarify this argument.

Thanks

2. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

you were right.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

You are right, the co-worker if FOS.

4. Steve_Cohen

Steve_Cohen Stunt Coordinator

thanks for confirming.

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

FYI, all DVDs are stored in MPEG encoded 480i.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Upscaling definition thread

The link above sends you to a thread I started so I can get the definition to explain to my brother-in-law. I never got the chance to explain it but it was very helpful information.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The only possible exception would be DVDs that carry WMV HD material on them, but aside from I think one or two overseas players, you need a PC to play them. They are actually encoded in HD, say 720p or 1080p, it varies.

But standard DVDs are encoded in 480i.

Nonetheless, viewing them processed up to much higher resolutions on capable displays provides a significant improvement, but not equal detail to that provided by native HD source material.