What's new

Played an Xbox launch title today.......glad I went GCN. (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Well I played Munch's Oddysee and damn am I just totally unimpressed. I hope MS didn't give this title TOO much cash to get it exclusive, but I am afraid they probably did. I could only play it for about 5 minutes before walking away crying.
Oh well, I still can't wait until Feb. when I get my Xbox with Jet Grind Radio Future.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. Did you like the other games in the series?
Microsoft seems to have backed off this title a bit. At E3 this was their baby and now they don't seem to be spending any energy on it. Perhaps it's a sign?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It's still the only playable demo in many of the store kiosks. Is anyone really excited by it though? Maybe I'm just missing something...
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I played the demo yesterday. I didn't have any real problems with it but it didn't really stand out to me either. Of course, I might not be the right person to judge because I've grown tired of platform games. They all sort of blend together to my eyes.
One nice thing I'll say, however, is that I LOVE the Xbox controller. It's been much maligned by many people but I really like big controllers and I really liked the way it felt in my hands.
Of the other (non-playable) demos, Bloodwake left me with a good impression. Looks like fun with neat waves. And while I don't play many fighting games anymore, DOA3 looks glorious.
It'll be interesting to see what the Gamecube is like once they get the kiosks for that set up.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Camp,
I very much liked the other two games. This one had about as much thought going into it, as a "Cleveland Steamer". I really think MS needs to put a demo of Dead or Alive 3 in those kiosk. The video that they have is really nice and all, but ppl want to play it. I still have a hard time reaching the black and white buttons on the American controller, where on the Japan controller I don't have this problem at all. Yeah Bloodwake looks good, but with those games its really if they can get the control locked down.

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
The Munch demo in the Xbox kiosks doesn't offer much to do or see, so I can see why people don't care for it and are unimpressed.
In the demo, you get to test both characters(Abe & Munch) that you play through the game with. All the demo is good for is getting a feel for the controls of the two characters.
If you are a fan of the Oddworld series, getting this title is a no-brainer.
For the rest of us who have never heard of it, the game has a sence of humor, filled with irony, plus good gameplay/controls/graphics...
I suggest looking up information on this title,( check ign.com or teamxbox.com ) and if you are still interested, test it out at one of the kiosks..

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I only played the first of the series; have they fixed the walk forward, die, walk then jump, die, walk, jump, duck, die, walkjumpduckrun die etc. etc. persevere and repeat style of that one, or is it forever stuck there like the Tomb Raider games appeared to be?

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I'm like the rest of you...Munch is not the game they should be using in the XBOX kiosks. It doesn't have that "wow" factor of dazzling graphics and fast paced action. It may indeed turn out to be a great game, but it may also leave some people with the wrong impression about what the XBOX is capable of. DOA3 would be the logical choice since fighters are very easy to pick up and play at a kiosk and it's likely the most graphically impressive of the launch games. Halo would also be a good choice.
Aaron

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
I also agree that Dead or Alive 3 would be a better choice for a playable demo.
Project Gotham (racing game), maybe even Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2x, could also have been better choices as they are more pick up and play friendly.
Ahh well, at least people can finally test the controller and end all the hype about it being too big..
wink.gif

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I agree with Andy.
I stopped by my local EB the other day and they were setting up the XBox kiosk. The joysticks were there but no XBox so I toyed around with the joysticks for a while.
Very nice. The size isn't too big (in comparision to all the video game systems I've played on). It has a very solid feel all around, buttons, analog pad and joystick.
Troy
------------------
quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Trust me its completely different playing a game with the controller than just holding it...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I heard that the Japanese controller is worlds better than any controller ever made, which makes me wonder why its not even available for purchase in America.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I played with the big controller and I like it. I never liked the original PSX controller, too small for my hands (my fingers were too long to use the shoulder buttons comfortably).
Regardless, there is already talk of selling the japanese controller in America as the 'kids controller', and I'm sure that some of the 3rd party controllers will keep the small-handed folks happy.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I have a feeling that since there has been so much talk about the Japan Xbox controller that it will be released here sometime. If not by Microsoft then some third party this happily jump on the money maker.

Users who are viewing this thread