What's new

plasma or lcd? (1 Viewer)

zoenphlux

Auditioning
Real Name
michael steptoe
I am going to purchase a new tv sometime around feb or march. I know prices will continue to drop, but i am having trouble deciding between plasma and lcd overall. I dont perfer dlp cause pretty much every set i have seen you have to be eye level and in front of the tv directly to get a good picture. My budget will be somewhere between 600-900 dollars. I have found a 720p panaconic for 766$ on newegg.com. Numbers look better then lcd, but dont they have the screen door effect? My dad has a sanyo 32" crt HDTV that is 720p, is 1080p worth the extra? Also, my living room is aprox. 10x17 and the farthest vieing is around 14ft and the closest seat will be about 5ft. What size do you think would suit? i am looking at a 42"....which is a bit bigger then my current 27" old rca CRT. Any suggestions?

zoenphlux

Auditioning
Real Name
michael steptoe
I ment to say that my dads at 720p(or 1080i...which i thought looked better on my 360) looks really good, is the 1080p that much better?

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
At $600-$900, you're limiting yourself quite a bit on the plasma selections. Screen size also plays a big role in determining whether you'll receive a significant boost going to 1080 vs 720. 42" and below, you won't see much of a difference between the two.

Personally, I would go with the plasma, but at $600-$900, I'd suggest you get the most bang for your buck, and that's going to be with the LCDs. Get as big as you can for that amount of money.

I'm buying a 60" Pioneer Kuro, but that's over $5,000.

slarity

Auditioning
Real Name
Landon
I got to agree with mike, for the price range your going to get the most from LCD. If you can look at the black friday sales, suppose to be some pretty nice ones in there.

Janice914

Auditioning
Real Name
Janice
Black Friday refers to the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is the biggest shopping day of the year.

We just bought a Panasonic TH-42PX80U 42-inch plasma set for $765. We could only find an off brand LCD close to that price, so we went with the Panasonic plasma.

I read that on TV's under 50" you really can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

Good Luck!

mightymach

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
If you're not going to take full advantage of 1080p it does not matter which way you decide to go. If you're just going to watch upconverted DVD's or HD cable, all you are going to be able to display is a 720p anyhow. On the other hand, if you have a BluRay DVD player you can take full advantage of a 1080p.

For instance, my dad has a 720p Vizio. It's worthless since he still has SD cable (infact, it's a worse picture than a SD tv). I get a good picture when I am playing my play station 3 with a 720p game though. I have a 1080p projector and I think it is a better picture on a bigger screen than his 720p all else being equal.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

Just a bit off topic here, after black friday sales there's also cyber monday. Anyway, sticking to a $600-900 is doable and you should probably choose the best bang for your buck with that budget, check some screens and reviews on newegg and choose the LCD you think would suit your needs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But LCD can leak. Go with the plasma, less mess. :P

I think your info is about 6 years outdated and now irrelevant. All info now is that plasma lifespan meets or exceeds that of LCD.

Aenygma

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
Hello,

We are currently looking into moving up from our 48" HD-RPTV to either a Plasma or an LCD.

In the setup will be a XBOX360/PS3 and we are concerned about that ole image retention argument you will hear some people talk about.

How concerned should we be? I could see times where the game system could be on for 3-4 hours.

Thanks.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

GAming at your level = LCD then. Or else be prepared to watch another 3 to 4 hours of normal programming after any such session.

Regards

Rennie Cowan

Agent
Real Name
Lana Lang.
DAVEF wrote:

I think your info is about 6 years outdated and now irrelevant. All info now is that plasma lifespan meets or exceeds that of LCD.

Or is it that you prefer plasma...and I suppose that is why Circuit City went out of business, because the majority of their stock of flat panel screens were plasma? Walk into any Best Buy, most of what they carry is LCD. I rest my case.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Rennie Cowan

DAVEF wrote:

Or is it that you prefer plasma...and I suppose that is why Circuit City went out of business, because the majority of their stock of flat panel screens were plasma? Walk into any Best Buy, most of what they carry is LCD. I rest my case.

I peferred LCD before I bought. But I wanted to buy the best TV possible in 2009 and the research lead me to Plasma -- a surprise as I thought they were poor performers with terrible lifespan, prone to burn-in, and lousy brightness. But that info was outdated and is now simply incorrect. And in my bedroom is an LCD, because there wasn't a mid-level Plasma in my price range.

Regardless of current performance, plasma has not been as successful as LCD. The best manufacturer, Pioneer, quit the business. I've heard that the technology and engineers behind their Kuro units were bought by Panasonic. Perhaps future Panny plasma TVs will leverage some of the best-of-class Kuro technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks