What's new

Plasma, LCD, or Keep Waiting? Advice Wanted. (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
My understanding on plasma burn-in is that, like a properly calibrated RPTV, problems are minimal. The few people on AVS forum that have experienced burn-in generally got it from static images - One guy used his for a PC monitor, and the Start button got somewhat burned into the corner.

Provided there is a mix of 4:3 and widescreen material, and static images are not left paused on the screen, it shouldn't be a problem. There are a few PS2 and Xbox gamers on AVSforum, who report no problems with some moderate care involved.

From what is known so far, it seems that burn-in issues on plasma fall somewhere between CRTs and RPTVs. Where precisely they fall is not really known, but like any unit, as long as it's not in Torch mode, it probably won't be too much of an issue. Logos are probably bad (just like RPTVs), so if you watch a lot of logo-laden channels it could be a problem.

Again, the AVSforum Plasma FAQ has a burn-in thread referenced:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=224419

A lot of people stretch to get the bigger image, and out of burn-in paranoia, but I will not be one of them. The only thing I can see stretching would be, perhaps, old school Nintendo or Atari or something.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Burn in is not nearly as serious as some people make it out to be. As a matter of fact, you can even have burn in on a CRT tube set if you're not careful. The main thing to remember is you should have a good mix of letterbox and non-letterbox material on the display for the first couple of months and the contrast level should not be set too high. Anamorphic DVDs in 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 format or 4:3 material in stretch mode mixed with 2.35:1 format DVDs will keep you free from burn in. Speaking of 4:3 material stretched, it really is not as bad as you might expect. The "just" mode on my Panasonic plasma is about the best looking stretch mode I've seen yet as it only stretches the material on the far sides of the picture. You barely even notice it.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I want to extend a thanks to all as well for all the information. I am in the market for a new TV in the next couple of years and want something that has a great picture at a affordable price.

About plasma TV's, can I hook up my pc to it and expect good graphics (no ghosting issues and such) for online gaming?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Dean,

I think you're a little misinformed about the "danger" of burn in with plasma displays. All you have to do is take a couple of real easy small steps to avoid it(which I outlined above)and you'll never have a problem with burn in. I've had my plasma for 10 months and there's not even the slightest hint of burn in because I've taken the necessary measures to keep it from happening. I think it's pretty simple to properly set the contrast level and mix in the proper amount of letterbox/non-letterbox material on the display. You make it sound like plasma is the only display with which burn in is an issue, but like I said you can have burn in with CRT tubes and rear projection units as well......if you're careless in how you take care of the displays. As for DLP, you might not have to worry about burn in, but there are a host of other issues you have to deal with--poor black levels, rainbows, motion artifacts and a picture that's not as good as a plasma. To each his own, but I'll take plasma over DLP every day of the week.

Rich H

Second Unit
I've 'ad my Panasonic plasma for 1 1/2 years. Plenty of time to cause burn-in.
Apparently it's not overly susceptible. I watch many letter-box films (2:35:1) with black bars, and my kids and wife torture the thing, watching hours of the same TV channel with awful logos (especially those kids programs and wildlife shows). Plus...lots of CNN-type channels with tickers and logos.

There isn't a hint of burn in (even when I've checked on all white/all black screen).

I just don't have the picture settings in blazing/factory torch mode, and it's still plenty bright and punchy.

A little common sense will go a long way with any display.

MikeMcNertney

Stunt Coordinator
Getting called away for a phone call is not going to cause burn-in, don't be rediculous. If it were that bad, the TVs would be unusable. You need to be showing a static image for many hours on end before you're in danger of damaging anything

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
am in the market for a new TV in the next couple of years and want something that has a great picture at a affordable price
Hopefully plasma will come down by then but I wouldn't put "affordable" and plasma in the same sentence. Then again $2.5k + might be affordable to you.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I work at a large retailer and own a CRT rear projection. I have had my Panasonic RPTV for almost two years now and have loved every moment of it. Honestly, the only thing i dont like about my current set is it does not do 720p which I would like for those few Xbox games I have, and no DVI for an upconverting player.
I have looked at almost all the technologies listed in here day in and day out while at work. Granted, not all of these TVs I see are calibrated or have the best possible source material going to them, but you can get a general idea on what to expect from it.
So far I would say that of all the technologies, CRT RPTV has the best quality image for the best price. The major drawback to CRT is it is also the highest maitenence of the TVs. You have to do the convergence and focus occasionally, and that turns off a lot of people.
LCD still hasnt reached the black level mark for me personally. Of all the LCD RPTVs I have seen, the best is the new 70inch Sony I saw. It has amazing color definition and solid deep blacks. But the problem I had with it is there is still pixelation and ghosting happening on fast motion. I was at a HI FI store and asked for a demo on this set on both HD and ED sources. The HD source looked amazing, but the water ripples in it got a pixelated mess after a while. The ED source, a DVD they had of Gladiator, exhibited the same problems, but also lacked the solidness of a ED signal on the CRTs I have seen.
DLP does have the rainbow effect. I have never seen it, but others have. So far of hte techs, DLP amazes me the most. The vertical viewing angle issues aside, and bulb replacement, DLP has the fewest disadvantages to me.

Plasma is cool though. But honestly, the price and black level issue with most of them is the drawback for me. On all the Plasmas I see, I still see a pixelation effect on all motion on them that is very distracting to me. I agree with Rich H about the Panasonics though, the black levels on those are amazing, the best i have seen. But to me plasma is just more of a novelty, something really cool looking and attractive, but still too expensive.

But that is just my opinion. Each technology has great things going for it now. Plasmas are dropping in price, DLP is gettting bigger, LCD is finally getting blacks right.....but CRT still is the cheapest with best clarity to me, but is the most work to maintain.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Sean,

For the most part, I agree with a lot of what you say. Regarding plasma, however, when you consider a 42" Panasonic panel can be had for under $3000 if you look in the right places(more like $2800 now) I think that throws the price issue out the window. The reasonable pricing of the Panny combined with its' superior blacks and overall fantastic PQ made it a no-brainer for me. I've never really warmed up to rear projection sets(CRT or DLP) because of the viewing angle issues and front projection set-ups are way too complicated to deal with(in addition to being VERY expensive). Honestly, I haven't seen another display that makes my jaw drop the way a good plasma does......and I spent about 3-4 months doing research and comparisons on all the different displays out there. In fact, I'm actually thinking about getting a 50" Panasonic HD plasma for my dedicated theater room now because I've been so pleased with the PQ on my 42" Panny. That's just my opinion on the subject, though, and I know others will feel very differently than I do. The bottom line is I respect everyone's opinion and hope that they enjoy their displays(whatever technology it may be) as much as I enjoy mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks