What's new

Planned DIY Rava-like sub...opinions (1 Viewer)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I'm about to take my first jump into DIY,and was wanting to use the Rava type enclosure that was available on another site.Appears that the link I have no longer works.Does anyone have any info on where else to get this box???

Thanks
Greg

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
This may be a stupid question, but if you're not going to build the enclosure yourself, why not just buy a Rava? The difference in cost would pretty much be negligible.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
In my first DIY venture:) ,I am planning to use the Rava type encloser, a rythmik 380 watt plate amp ,and a Stryke AV-12.
any comments /opinions please...........does this sound likea workable set up??My thinking it would be a kinda "souped up"Rava.....

Thanks
Greg

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Hi Brian,I started another post about this .Will this be functional?? Or in my "newbie"ness will it be a complete disaster.I'm still bounceing back and forth between .....
this

just buy a Rava

or have one simialar built by you.

Indecision runs rampant:D

Thanks

Greg

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I think it should be a good match... the AV12 is more power hungry than the Shiva, so the rythmik is a must...

Good: I think it'll give what your looking for... a "souped up" Rava... and it should outperform the RAVA

Bad; If you eventually upgrade, i think the Rava will have a better resale value

Moving up to a 15" driver would take it a step further...

later...
Rob

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, the AV12/Rythmic amp combo sounds good. The one drawback would be the enclosure, IMHO. IIRC, it's not MDF but could work if you added extra bracing.

KyleGS

Second Unit
With the Shiva's increased efficiency you should see the nearly the same SPL across the bandwidth. You would need to give the AV12 ~500w to make up for the efficiency difference. I'd buy the Rava and forget about it.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I agree with Jack. Although the Shiva is a great sub, there are more possibilities with regards to upgrading the overall sub with the AV12. If you ever want to go for a different enclosure and even a larger amp, the AV12 offers much more flexibility.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Aside from Jeffrey's good points on upgradeability, the AV12 is worth going for even with "just" the 380 watts from the plate amp. In the 62L box being discussed, it'll have a much lower Qtc. Also, while the increased efficiency of Shiva is evident (on paper) in the upper bass, the lower you go the closer it gets. At 20Hz, it's pretty close. Again, this the theoretical difference based on some graphs, there's more going on with the different motors than might be illustrated.
Having used and compared both, I think the AV12 is worth it at the pre-order price. And, for a given SPL, the AV12 will be operating in the much more linear region of its throw. Those relying purely on computer simulations might be a little surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks