What's new

Planet Terror: 1,78:1 or 2,35:1? (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Although in that case I believe Tarrantino initially intended for the film at 2.35:1 (it's in Super 35 IIRC) but changed his mind late in the day. Hence why the most of the trailers are in scope.

Anyway this is quite puzzling...

1. Since the film was shot in HD, the digital intermediate of the film should be framed at 1.78:1 (and apparrantly it is) since matting occurs after that stage.

2. I find it somewhat bizarre that a film element would be used in this case since it is on HD.

3. Considering I haven't seen the dvd yet (and probably will not thanks to Blockbuster) and lack concrete evidence from it aside from what one guy says, I find this argument slightly hard to stomach.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
I'm in the process of capturing 4 stills from either of the trailers as well as the dvd for comparison. Will be up shortly. Meant to do it earlier this week, but the flu is knocking me about.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The only cropping in those snaps seems to be on the left edge (and quite a lot too as seen in capture 2), but as I suspected we're making up for it with a lot of info on the top and bottom. Looks like a bizzare variant of the Apocalypse Now problem where the cropping appears to be for maintaining artistic intent, its also inconsistant (snap 4 doesn't appear to be cropped at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks