What's new

Planet Of The Apes is HERE! Photos Enclosed! (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
LOL...

I just ordered the Monkey Head.

I knew I must have it after I found a bigger picture:

Also, with the new DigitalEyes/DVDPlanet coupon for $10 off $125 and the fact that I had about $45 in credit there... it only came out to $78.57 with 2-day shipping.

And I've got a feeling this thing is going to go for booku cash in the future on eBAY. *scheming*

I used to own the TV show on DVD... god damnit it was awful, lol. The cartoon is right up my alley though.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
All of the current codes are:

PREAPR2006 $10 OFF $125 ORDER
APR2006 $5 OFF $60 ORDER
DEPLANET2006 $7 OFF $75 ORDER

"I hate them all... from Chim-pan-A to Chim-pan-Z. THEY MADE A MONKEY OUT OF MEEE!" -Troy McClure

I kind of realized that, after looking around my living room at the Scarface set, all the Anchor Bay Tins, and my ET box that it'd look awesome right on my projector shelf (hopefully it's not too too heavy).

MattHR

Screenwriter
What if Fox had marketed the set in three different ape-head versions: chimp, gorilla and orangutan? I'm sure there are those who would buy all three.

The best voice chip would be Heston's classic line: "Get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!" (Although, it'd more appropriate on a Heston bust -- but that would be just too creepy sitting on the shelf.)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Even more creepy would be a bust of Landon -- complete with lobotomy scar. Of course, this bust would require no voice chip.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ron,
Has there been further word on when Fox might release the animated series separately?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Also, that fierce scowl is usually typical of Caesar from CONQUEST. It's the same face that is on the cover of the old PLANET disc with the "spoiler" cover!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hate to ask these kinds of questions, but here goes.

But first, I have the last box set of POTA series, it is the version of POTA before the Anamorphic POTA disc came out. I never got that Anniversary edition with the silver box, mostly because I didn't have a display that could take advantage of an anamorphic disc. I do now.

I'm real tempted to buy the new Legacy box set, but with HD so close, I am actually starting to think about waiting. On the other hand, it could be a while. I did play the non-anamorphic disc last night and as was reviewed here years ago, it looks pretty great for a non-anamorphic disc.

So the question is, not counting the extras, is the new box set an actual improvement? Thanks!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

this has been my thought process too. these are films i would re-buy in a HD format at some point...but when will we even get that chance? It look like Foxs HD output is going to very...underwhelming for quite a while.
on the other hand, should DDD have another sale this June, this Legacy set will come out to about $27. assuming i can get at least $12 for my old Evolution set on ebay, the cost of an anamorphic upgrade for 4 of the 5 films will come out to $15...which wouldn't even pay for one of the films on Blu-ray.
i can afford to drop $15 (and even $27) for an upgrade on these that should be good enough to get me by for the next 5 years or so.

although i do agree that for non anamorphic transfers, these were at the top of the heap- and still fairly watchable, if unsatisfying at this point.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Paul, I am having the same problem....what do I buy now? Do I wait for HD. Obviously, Fox surely made HD transfers of these with HD discs so close (probably the Mel Brooks movies from the new set as well), but how long before they get to them? If you look at the release schedule so far for both HD formats, almost all titles are newer films, not the classics. The only ones I have seen listed are Guns of Navarone, Blazing Saddles and maybe one more. How long will that take to change and what quantity of titles? I am being much more careful what I purchase for now.

The one good thing is that DVD is in so many homes now, there is always a good chance of selling them off on Ebay or online for a while when we get the high-def versions. But that won't last forever either.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

No, but then I haven't inquired.

I would guess they are going to wait till sales
die down. After all, I'm sure they would like to
sell some Ape Heads to those wanting the animated
series before releasing them separate.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

The Legacy set isn't very expensive, and we don't know when the HD APES will ever come out, as you've said. Besides, after you buy the HD set one day, there'll be the SUPER-DUPER EXTRA HDHDHDVD to upgrade to! :D

Enjoy now. Don't wait for a tomorrow that may not arrive.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Again, the DVD format is not going anywhere. We're simply being given a choice for a superior presentation quality when we want it. I suspect that DVD will still be mainstream in 2010; and that many of today's (now OOP) DVD's will still be highly sought after.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks