What's new

Planet Of The Apes is HERE! Photos Enclosed! (1 Viewer)

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the most uplifting thing about that old VHS advertisement is that, back then, it would have cost $100 just to get the five films on VHS (probably pan & scan at that). So, $35 (give or take) for the five films plus the 6th documentary disc all on DVD in anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 sound isn't bad!

The VHS artwork depicted there seems to be targeted at fans of the TV show "Saved by the Bell" apparently. :)

I've watched the first three films in the new "Legacy" set so far. I'm enjoying watching them all again. I recently got a 50-inch Panasonic plasma display, so I had a good reason to upgrade to the "Legacy" set.

One thing I'm not sure about: I thought originally that the couple of old featurettes (for "Escape" and "Conquest", I think) that had previously been on Image's "Behind" set and the 35th Anniversary POTA release were going to be put on the corresponding new anamorphic reissues of the appropriate films. Perhaps that was only for the "Ultimate" set. It doesn't matter much, since those featurettes have been out there for awhile.

Also worth noting is that, as far as I can tell, the trailers on all of the discs are non-anamorphic.

By the way, the inclusion of the old VHS promo piece on the new discs is probably simply due to carrying over the very small amount of extras what were found on the old "Evolution" DVD's. I'd rather have that promo than not....I guess. :)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I want to repeat my post. I am most anxious to buy the apes movies, but only if the stereo sound on them is REAL separated stereo and not remixes from the mono tracks. As I stated in my last post, there were 2 (or more) of the sequels that I originally saw in the theaters in true stereo with surround (probably 4.0 mag surround). They were Escape and Conquest. Can anyone test these 2 for me and see if there is real stereo (is the music real stereo, the sound effects, ect)? Thanks, that is going to be the basis of my decision to purchase these or not. can ANYONE help who has purchased these?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Bill GrandPre, I really wanted to thank you for your nearly comprehensive breakdown of which bonus features are found on which discs--it was key to my realization that, even though I just purchased the Legacy Collection, I'm still going to need to invest in the PotA: 35th Anniversary Edition and the Image release of BEHIND 'THE PLANET OF THE APES'. I wanted to add a couple of bonuses you either forgot, didn't find or chose to leave off your list: for those who care, BOTH the still gallery on the Evolution version of BENEATH THE PotA (7 images) AND the complete PotA website DVD-ROM feature on the Evolution version of BATTLE FOR THE PotA have been carried over to their Legacy Collection (which, by extension, I would assume is also true of the Ultimate Collection) counterparts, though they are advertised nowhere on the packaging.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Let me sum this up in my own mind. To own everything pertaining to the original film series, I need to buy:

Behind the Planet of the Apes -- Image
The Legacy Collection -- Fox 2006
Planet of the Apes -- 35th Anniversary Edition, Fox
Battle for the Planet of the Apes -- theatrical, Fox, 2001

Is that correct?
Did I overlook something?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
You did not, Richard--W; as I mentioned in my earlier post, I bought The Legacy Collection earlier this week and I just ordered PotA: 35th Anniversary Edition about 10 minutes ago online. Hopefully, I can pick up the Image disc within the next couple of months, but I'm selling off my old Evolution box, including the theatrical version of BATTLE because I have no interest in keeping the theatrical edit.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Do the sequels have a 20th Century Fox logo at the beginning? It was missing on the last release.

LeighRI

Auditioning
Are there any major differences between disc 2 of the 35th Anniversary set and disc 1 of the Image Special Edition set?

Thanks!

GregK

Screenwriter

From what I've sampled to date, the first POTA feature is the only feature to use music tracks with true stereo separation, but does not appear to be the long lost stereo mix.

With my schedule, so far I've only been able to sample a couple of minutes of a few of the sequels. First impressions (subject to change) of BENEATH sounds as if they had decent elements to work with, but is still quite likely to be a remix. The stereo remix of ESCAPE drops a notch further, with the music having little if any true definition. CONQUEST sounds better than ESCAPE, but still has no defined stereo music spread.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Greg, thanks for answering my question, as much as you can having just sampled the set. I am extremely let-down that they are stereo mixes from a mono source. Surely Fox has the stereo music tracks, as Film Score Monthly released them as cds from the master music tapes. Also, as I stated, Escape AND Conquest were both 4-track mag stereo, I heard it with my own ears when they were released in theaters.

I find it sad that Fox didn't take the time to find the stereo tracks (maybe they did try and they're gone), or even bother to remix the music tracks into the soundtrack for stereo, which we know exist (I have the cd releases). I am most pleased that they are releasing such a wonderful collection with remastered picture, but it's a BIG disappointment to see them run the soundtracks through a similated-stereo creation program, and leave it at that.. instead of taking the time to restore the soundtracks properly.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I created insert cards using these images to place inside the new DVD cases.

They duplicate the original poster art of the movies. I used the original art for Beneath, and not the image featured in the link above. I would have preferred to have higher-res sources to work from, but they're not too bad.

I also included the "Go Ape" image for the theatrical Planet of the Apes marathon.

If anyone would like them, I can email them in a zip file. You'll need to print them at 64.039%, or resize to approximately 4.9"x7". They'll print with a slight border. Print on heavier-stock paper, then trim just within the borders.

They'll end up looking similar to the mini-poster reproductions Anchor Bay sometimes includes in their DVDs.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I watched Planet of the Apes and now I'm watching Battle For the Planet of the Apes from the Legacy Collection. I hate to complain, but compared to the orignal DVD of the first film (which is the only Apes DVD I had til now) the image on both looks too bright and too soft. Am I the only one who thinks so? Hasn't anyone else noticed this? I adjusted the settings but the films still don't look right, so I returned the settings to original positions.

Anyone want to me sell your old Evolution box? Email me.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I'm curious, too. Is it an actual size bust? It would almost have to be to accommodate the DVDs inside it.

I checked two Circuit Cities, 4 Best Buys, and two Borders -- none of them had it. I picked up the Legacy set at Costco ($30 -- great deal!). I'd still like to see the actual head up close -- face to face -- so to speak. :)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
There's a picture of it on the box, but no cellophane window so that we can see how it looks. A clerk at Hasting's tried to open the box for me, but the bust is sealed within a styrofoam container and she would have had to break the seals to open it. Evidently it's well-packed for heavy-duty shipping. Jeez.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
That picture is too far away.
I want to see a close-up.
Somebody, post a close-up, please.

I want to push a button at the base of the head and hear Cornelius's voice say "Beware the beast man ..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks