What's new

Planet Of The Apes is HERE! Photos Enclosed! (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I just clicked onto the Fox site and now that Ape Head looks really cool. Just when I figured I could skip it, I don't know what to do now! :b

Does anyone know what "DVD-5" means? For Disc 10 in the ULTIMATE COLLECTION, it says:

" Note: This is the only DVD-5 in the set**"

GregK

Screenwriter
DVD-5 means a single layer DVD. DVD-9 means dual layer, and is likely used on all of the movies and multiple episode DVDs.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Greg. I was just hoping it wasn't a weird technology like DVD-18 that could potentially create problems.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
That is a nice website. Love the Goldsmith sample when you click on the details buttons. I think Fox may well convince a few people who were on the fence about various purchasing options as a result of it. As much as I utterly resent having to pay import tax I'm going to have to get the Legacy Collection instead of individual titles - the box has swung it.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Here's another Target shopper who snagged Apes for $9.99...and took another 10% off with his girfriend's corporate discount. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I had to run into a few stores in my area to find the ULTIMATE EDITION this morning, but the only place that stocked any was FYE, and they only got one in. I knew I was going to have to pay through the nose for this without ordering online, and I did -- the full $179, plus tax. I could have ordered online, but I didn't feel like waiting. Oh well, I'll sell of some of the other discs I already have to make some money back.

I got a nice fairly low Collector's Number too -- #2065 out of 10,000.

Now it's time to GO APE!

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up the Legacy collection at CC. I just didn't want the Head in my house really. Either way I did look around and this particular CC had not one. TON's of the Legacy collection and not an Ultimate in sight. I was hoping to see it person just for the hell of it.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
You've been discussing for 3 pages now what's missing and what's not in the extra features department when compared to previous editions, but what I really find sorely missing is the original mono soundtrack to PotA!

Maybe you accepted that as a given, since it was already missing on the 35th Anniversary release, and this here is supposed to duplicate that one. But I am particularly annoyed by the absence of an essential part of the film in what should have been an ultimate archival edition. I guess most posters here at the HTF will agree with me that film preservation should always come first.

It's the same for all other movies in the saga? Have all of them been remastered in 5.1 while discarding their original soundtracks?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have to say I've never enjoyed the DVD audio for PLANET OF THE APES because all I hear while I'm trying to listen to Jerry Goldsmith's score are enhanced footsteps, horses hooves, or whatever sound effects are going on in the sequence. This is especially the case in the early scene where the three astronauts are trekking across the desert -- their boots crunch the sand loudly, while the music is secondary. The music is way in the background and noises way up front to my ears, and I grew up used to hearing the film off TV. I've never gotten used to these mixes on DVD and I'm not sure if this is because the original POTA audio was in mono and now has been compromised or what. It drives me crazy.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
All of the sequels have 5.1 and English Mono, at least that's what it says on the bottom of the box. Haven't opened my set yet.

James@R

Second Unit
Did anyone find the Legacy set at Best Buy today? I don't recall seeing it in their weekly ad, and while there were (literally) four displays of Kong- there were no Apes to be found at my local BB.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought the apes at BB today, $37 and some change. So far all i have done is skim through Battle, yea i read the last page of a book too. Picture looks good. I didn't look to see if the 5.1 was kicked on for my audio, but it was all coming from the front anyway. I have the 35th anniversary edition of PotA, so i wasn't looking to rebuy the set, but at that price you cant beat it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

Joe Karlosi...i ordered from amazon yesterday.
recieved a shipping confirm last night.
revieved the ape head TODAY.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Can anyone tell me if Escape and Conquest are TRUE stereo? They were in the theater when I saw them in Minneapolis on their original releases, they are the movies that really got me into stereo sound on movies because of their great stereo soundtracks. I believe they were 4 track mag stereo. Or are the 5.1 mixes from mono source and just fake stereo? Is the music score in stereo on any of the sequels (meaning the new dvds)?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Has anyone else noticed this?

When I was flipping through the "Special Features" on one of the DVDs (Beneath or Escape, I think it was), I came across the "Trailers" section. Clicking on the link, you see what's like a branching-tree menu setup for the trailers:

"PLANET OF THE APES MOVIE TRAILERS" (individual films)

"PLANET OF THE APES (2001)"

...and the following one:

"PLANET OF THE APES CROSS-PROMOTION"

When I chose this last one, I was treated to this totally middling-quality, VHS-level promo for what was apparently the CBS-Fox Apes releases put out on tape back in the late '80s/early '90s, complete with the old '80s video logos:

...Like, WTF?

Also, there's this terrific piece (from mid-1999) over at Film Score Monthly on why Jerry Goldsmith didn't score Beneath the Planet of the Apes, and it's well worth a read:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/arti...ore_Debate.asp

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
After seeing those old VHS tapes' trade dress, all I can say is... I am not complaining about the Legacy Edition packaging any more!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I got the box containing just the theatrical movies plus the documentary at Costco for only $30.10. At that price, I was sure it must be the old versions, but it's the new remasters.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Here's one for you. I've watched the first 3 Apes films from the new set, and I was bothered by what I call "waves" whenever the camera moves and you see something with straight lines. This is something that has happened in the past with DVD, from way back in the earliest days. Whenever you see steps, or lines on a mountain, or even creases in a person's wrinkled forehead, they seem to "shimmer" as the camera pans. Is this what "artifacting" means? I don't know if this is due to anamorphic or not, but I tried out my DVDs from the older Apes set and they didn't have this trouble. I should mention that this doesn't occur with all my DVDs, and I only have a 36" Sony TV and a basic Sony DVD player. Does anyone know what I mean by this "swimming effect"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks