What's new

Planet of the Apes Blu-Ray Set - Nov. 4 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I've been wondering the same thing. I will gladly order the first one upon hearing we don't have another Patton on our hands.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Is it my setup, or is there some seriously messed-up encoding on the grab of the three gorilla soldiers?

I hope it's not like that on the disc!

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I see it too. Wonder what that's all about. (Needless to say, I'm waiting for the full reviews to come in but it sounds like a good set so far)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I didn't notice anything unusual. The three apes are in front of a a darkly wooded area. The trees leaves have light filtering through them. Is this what you meant?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Take a look at the middle gorilla, particularly his stomach area to the right of his bandoleer. There is a ton of blocking in that screencap, but it is easiest to see it there.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Just grabbed this from my local BB at lunch. Beautiful package overall, but potential bad news. It has THE OMEN type of internal hubs to hold the discs. I took CONQUEST off the spindle and I am already having difficulties upon attempting to put it back. The discs are held within the binding of an included book. I am concerned about damage. Blu-Ray discs are supposed to be durable .. yes? :-(

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The hubs are more robust than the foam type, made of silicone instead, but it makes putting the discs back on a little difficult. It's doable though after a bit of practice.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
The hub news solidified my decision not to purchase the set. It really is impressive looking otherwise, but how hard would it have been to include the hubs used in Warner Bros. Digibooks?

I really only wanted the original though, as Beneath the Planet of the Apes left a bad taste in my mouth. So much so that I never gave the following sequels a chance. I think I will rent the four sequels and decide if I want to pick them up via a sale in their individual cases down the road.

BTW, has anyone noticed that Amazon was backordered on the single original? I had to go to a B&M, gasp, to get mine this morning. I will be watching it tonight hopefully.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Paul, i just went and checked Amazon. They show the single BD of PotA as in stock. I had to look, cause i have it and Beneath on order from them. I use the free shipping, so mine has not even entered the "shipping soon" phase. Anyway, i clicked on the Apes link in my order, says in stock.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, I now own a Blu-ray player. I bought one today because I couldn't resist getting the APES set, especially for the unedited version of CONQUEST. I am already sold on BD.

But I have to echo what has been said about the LOUSY hubs on this set! Just awful!! So I took all the discs out and am placing them in my old SD packaging with the Ape Head. I don't usually believe in ever switching packaging, but there's no way I'm going to risk getting the new Apes BDs damaged.

I have NEVER seen such terrible packaging in my life. This method of DVD hub has to take the cake.

But yes, the picture quality is awesome - I'm a BD believer!

troy evans

Screenwriter
I never owned any of these films on any format other than the sd dvd of Tim Burton's re-imagining. My dad introduced me to the PotA films when I was young. I always had a fascination with monkeys and gorillas when I was a kid. I thought they were the coolest animals of all time. I've seen bits and pieces of these films on tv over the years but never sat down for a complete viewing of any of these films since I was a kid. That was until yesterday, when I purchased this set at Best Buy. I originally put the first film in to see the Blu-ray quality. I started at the begining and didn't stop watching till the end. Wow, was this ever stunning. Alot of people are raving about the James Bond releases being all that, we'll this, in my opinion so far, is the Blu-ray of the year. I can only hope the rest of the films are as outstandingly restored as the first. It's funny that the classic films impress me more on Blu-ray then the current films do. I love watching these and feeling like the picture is so damn good it could have been filmed this year. Love it! Oh, and the silicone hubs do in fact SUCK!!!!!!!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I have to agree that the hubs are the only really down side to this set. I have however found the secret to getting the discs back onto them. Turn the disc as you push down and they seem to go back on securely.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.