What's new

Planet of the Apes Blu-Ray Set - Nov. 4 (1 Viewer)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Here is a look at the packaging...........

Comes with a 200 page book.

Looks like I may be getting this after all.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the posting the pic Joe.

The 200 page book plus the packaging and disc art look fantastic. This is without a doubt more than I expected. Can't wait to see the picture quality.
I will be getting this for sure. Even If I have to sell some stuff to get it.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Looks nice, but i am sorry to say guys...i hate to have to open something on the coffee table. That thing looks like it will be 4 feet long, when you open it! Not as bad as the Alien Q set, but still, you cant open it while you kneel next to the player. And it will be a bitch for me to shelve. Sorry, but my OCD ways, out way the coolness of it.

Jerome

Second Unit
Too bad that Battle for the Planet of the Apes is not the Extented Cut (+ 10 minutes) released a few years ago. It is a better cut than the Theatrical cut.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of just "Planet of the Apes" (A+) and "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" (B+); the rest of this series just gets a "C" on my personal rating scale. (And I would like to see the Tim Burton "re-imagining" included just due to the production values.)

Still ... That's a nice package ...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Looks like each film gets its own Bd 50 after all.
classy looking graphics, but it's a shame it won't fit easy in my DVD case. If the video is unprocessed high fidelity and I can find it for under $90, I'm in.
Two big ifs.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The 5-disc Blu-Ray set is $159.98. The reissue of the SD Ape Head set contains a lot more content (i.e. the TV series), hence its $179.98 tag (I think when it came out first the Ape Head was $250). There will NOT be a BD version of the Ape Head set.

Bill Hunt has a write-up on the BD set (with pics) over at the Bits. Interested parties should check it out - it answers some of the questions raised in this thread.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
When the Ape head set was released it was pretty expensive. I believe the average price for it was around $180 I waited a few months, and picked it up at Deepdiscount for $88(not a sale price). It's currently at around $160. All four volumes of the James Bond dvd collections grouped together at online sites averaged around $200. I picked up all of them for a one day sale at Amazon for $120. It just goes to show that these robust box set prices are constantly changing. You just have to check the sites from time to time, and find the price that is right for you.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Wow, I'm definitely not getting it now. I HATE the packaging. I don't mind elaborate packaging as long as the discs are inside something I can put on my shelf. I really only like 3 of the films (POTA, Escape, and Conquest) but I thought I might pick it up anyway (just like I did when they came out on DVD). The first film will be released as a standalone at some point or they will eventually release this set in Blade Runner-style packaging. In the meantime, I hope Netflix carries these.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Who the heck designs that packaging? On every home video release they just never know how to put the proper photos with the right movies.

Oh, and the "complete" version of BATTLE had better be included. Otherwise, that's a serious flaw in this collection.

Eric F

Screenwriter
The people who want to mark up the prices as much as possible.

As much as I want this set, for $159 I think I'm going to have to give it a pass, or at least wait until I can find it for ~$79 or so (if that ever happens).

Eric F

Screenwriter
Stop exaggerating. Why not just give us the option to have just the discs with or without the extras (like Warner typically does) instead of forcing us to buy it?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Already debate? Well, it´s from Fox and everything, so I´m not hugely surprised.

While I fully understand the "lack of individual releases"-problem (why not give them both?), I really like the packaging. As always, this one goes nicely to my DVD/BD shelf (on top of it, I mean).

It seems, that this doesn´t have everything compared to the 14-disc SD DVD-set, so I´m keeping that..

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, from the start of this thread there have been issues. Individual releases, and price point. I guess it breaks down to this: If your interested in buying this set, buy it. If not, don't. I'm sure an individual release of the first movie will be released as well, so people on both sides of the issue should be satisfied.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I don't care for the packaging for practical purposes. Shelf space is at a premium in my lair and this puppy looks like it's going to take up the space of about 30+ BD's length-wise, which is the only way it'll fit in my cabinets.

errrrr......Not a deal breaker though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.