What's new

Planet Earth: The Complete Series Reviews (HD DVD & BD) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I really am trying to resist buying anything that is priced over 30 bucks, but if you keep posting comments like these then I'm liable to crack. :) Please stop. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks Paul!

I checked my account: the order is marked as "Shipping Soon" - but still had the old price!
I sent them an e-mail about it.

So they let you keep the 10% of $2.96? Nice.

Cees

PS: In the "Film & Documentary" area, there's some discussion whether or not this version has the David Attenborough voice-over. Amazon now explicitly states (at the HD DVD page): Note: this edition features the original narration by David Attenborough. :)
C.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
I sent them a message yesterday and they modified the price to the current advertised price. Plus the 10% discount still applies. It is currently shipping soon so I hope it ships today!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Got the price corrected ($2.96) and kept the original 10% discount. Not to mention that these discs look incredible! Probably the best demo material I currently own. Even having only watched one episode I'm confident in saying that they're well worth the price.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I received an e-mail saying they will restitute $2.96 the moment 'Planet Earth' is shipped (Apr 28).

Cees

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

The picture is gorgeous. You friends will envy you. Women will find you more attractive. You'll probably get a promotion at work.

Simply viewing Planet Earth might enable you to come up with a solution to the problems in the Middle East.

In short, you owe it to humanity to purchase this Blu-ray set ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Being more attractive to women always works for me. :laugh: I ordered it from Amazon.com for 67 dollars. I figure the cost with exchange, shipping, and a five dollar post office handling fee to be ~85 - 90 dollars.

Ordering this set from Amazon.ca would have cost 99.98 before taxes. :eek:
They actually increased the price by 12 bucks from the last time I looked. It was originally selling for 87 dollars. After taxes the cost would have been 112 bucks, but they gave you free shipping. :laugh: They're out of their gourds. Even if GST was added (national sales tax) it is still cheaper to order this from the US store and pay the shipping charge. Ordered the BD. Unfortunately, the set is backordered until some time in May. Oh well, gives me time to figure out where the money is coming from.

Adam_R

Second Unit
No one within 100 miles of me has this thing on BluRay!

AAAUUUGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

BTW - I am in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, and when I say no one, I mean BB, CC, Target, Walmart, Barnes and Noble from Harrisonburg to Charlottesville, etc. Nothing. Not sold out. Didn't even get it in from what they've been saying.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I really, really think retailers underestimated the demand for these babies (even in standard def). I wouldn't be surprise to see a glut of these in a couple weeks...

~Jason

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmm, I did not see it at the regular big electronics stores but saw the thing at the local walmart near my house 2 days ago and picked it up at that time.

Adam_R

Second Unit

None of the Walmarts in my region even carry HD-DVD or BluRay.

Now a couple places had the HD-DVD version but I prefer Bluray when possible due to my Xbox 360 sounding like a damn airplane taking off.

I do have it on order with Amazon, but it's not scheduled to ship until May 17th. :|

Scott Jentsch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
My HD DVD set is on order from Amazon, but scheduled delivery isn't for a couple of weeks. I rented (the HD DVD) Disc #1 from Netflix and received it on Tuesday. I also have the third episode from that disc ("Fresh Water") on my HD TiVo, recorded off DiscoveryHD, to do some comparisons.

I haven't had a chance to do more than a cursory glance through the disc, but the picture quality is definitely better than the broadcast version. I'm looking forward to doing some A-B comparisons. The center channel containing the narration seems a little low compared to the musical soundtrack.

Perhaps most disappointing so far is the exclusion of Sigourney Weaver's narration. Why not provide hers on a separate track and allow me to choose? She did a fine job and I'd like to have the choice.

I would also like the ability to choose just the background music, with no narration at all. Some people pay good money for titles that serve as eye candy for their plasmas and such, and the visuals on this series would serve that purpose well. Having just the background music would be a nice thing to have playing when I'm doing something else where the narration would provide a distraction.

At first, I wasn't going to purchase the series on disc, as I have recorded them all on the HD TiVo and can always rent them from Netflix if I wanted, but I'd like to have pristine copies on hand as demo material and the series is good enough for multiple viewings. After doing some price-checking, Amazon's price was the best, so I'm happy to support such a splendid creative effort.

ScottFin

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I'm in shock! My local Best Buy actually had three Blu-Ray versions in stock this morning and they'll price match Target at $66.99. So, I'll be picking this one up during lunch:) Can't wait to see this in HD, since I've been watching on standard satellite for weeks! This will be a great anchor to the start of what I hope will be a respectable collection...............

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I finally had some time to view this wonderful documentary set (Watched Disk 1) and only one word comes to mind... WOW.

Maybe 2, Amazing.

This disk set is worth every penny I spent on it. It is a must have for all HD owners.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Currently, the HD DVD version stands at #5 in overall DVD sales, BD version at #10.

Both are out of stock...but now set to re-stock on May 7! :)

ScottFin

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I watched the entire series on Blu-Ray this past weekend and was in awe of the quality of this production and the clarity of the presentation.
This is definitely a show-piece application, given so many of the images are simply jaw-dropping.
Some of the steadi-cam HD helicopter shots over waterfalls, mountains, canyons, etc. are unforgettable and deserve mutiple viewings to take in all the detail. The moving images from space were the clearest I have ever seen and probably the closest I will ever be to becoming an astronaut.
The patience and fortitude of the production team and camera operators cannot be understated.
I personally loved David Attenborough's narration, having already heard bits and pieces of Sigourney Weaver's voice-over.
There are animal species featured in this collection that will quite literally be extinct in a few years and I am happy they at least are preserved for such a brief moment in such a quality documentary.
Worth $66? Absolutely! $100 is a bit steep, even if it is 5 hours of material.
Already stated, but a must-have for all HD-owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks