What's new

Placing sub in or out of the cabinet? (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I will be replacing my sub (considering both front and bottom firing subs in $150-200 range for primarily movies - don't need to shake the walls down, just some reasonable bass effects, and non-audiophile type music listening) and I'm in a quandary about its placement. I have to keep it in a cabinet of my entertainment center causing it to be enclosed on all 4 sides with a speaker screen opening opposite the sub. Also, if needs be, I can take the sub out of the cabinet and place it in a corner on a tile floor. So my questions are:
1. Can a sub be left in an enclosed cabinet and still do its job?
2. If Yes to #1, does front/bottom firing make any difference?
3. If No to #1, does opening the cabinet door make a beneficial difference?
4. Ideally, I would imagine that taking the sub out of the cabinet is the way to go...but this can get to be a PITA.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Could have asked this in your originating thread...but...
1. Of course as a subwoofer just has to be in the room(more on that in number 4)
2. Front or bottom makes absolutely zero difference.
3. Don't know much about bass apparently.
4. The sub should go in the room where it will be most effective.
Bass notes are long. As in multiple feet long.
Take "speed of sound" and divide that by the hz and you get "how many feet" a bass note is.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/sound-frequency-wavelength-d_56.html
Buy your sub and try it in your cabinet. My guess is, unless this is some cabinet made from real wood(as in actual planks of wood), nothing else in the cabinet is going to work(because you know...bass vibrates stuff).
My guess is the cabinet placement isn't going to work.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
"My guess is the cabinet placement isn't going to work." Unfortunately, that is my thought. also. Once again, let me say that all I am looking for is to enhance the bass, but I have no need for "perfection."
BTW, I posted this inquiry as a new thread because I felt that the subject matter was different that my prior post.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Subwoofers, quite often, work better along the side walls in a room. Just sticking it in the front of the room with the main two speakers is not often the best place.
My main theater has three. Two running off the .1. One sits inside the right speaker. The second sits along the wall between the screen and couch. The third sub is a passive being ran off the rear channel of the AVR. The rear pre-outs run into a crossover to the sub amp...and to the amp running the rear speakers.
That way, when you are watching a movie with major bass...the bass swells around the room from the direction of the action. You can actually feel tanks moving in from the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks