Placement of non-shielded speakers near TV?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Andrew O'Brien, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

How close is 'too close" when it comes to placment of non-shielded speakers near a TV? I seem to recall reading that non-shielded speakers can damage a TV if placed to close. My center speaker is shielded, but I was toying with the idea of using one of my un-shielded fronts as a center speaker.

Andy

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What kind of tv? Direct view? rptv? digital-based rptv?

These all make a difference. You can move it close and see the image distortions, usually you don't need to be too far away. Direct views will be more susceptible, since the screen is the entire tube. CRT-RPTVs have the tubes down at the bottom front, so a speaker on top is well away from the tubes, and a digital-projector based RPTV or any other digital display won't have any problems at all.

3. Andrew O'Brien

Just a regular 32 inch JVC TV.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No closer than two feet. I've ruined two perfectly good Sony TVs by placing them too close to unshielded speakers (remember, in the days before home theater, shielded speakers were rare). The chroma distortion caused by unshielded speakers can become permanent if left unattended for too long.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, then a direct view set you'll likey need to be at least a good foot away.

6. Andrew O'Brien

Thanks for the feedback.

Andy

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jack's recommendation is spot on. At approximately 2 feet, the strength of the magnetic field is reduced to the point where it's essentially as strong as the earth's magnetic field.