What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean SE question (1 Viewer)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I tried searching the forum as well as two DVD review sites and have not come up with much on the SE version of Pirates of the Caribbean. I am basically looking to find out if the rerelease of this movie has a new video transfer? Did they clean up the video and get rid of the EE on the new disc? If there are any other threads, please point me to them, but I am looking for a simple yes or no as to a new transfer or not!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John,
From what I can gather, the transfer is the same as the previous release. This release has an additional disc with some new bonus material.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The transfer was beautiful beforehand, so I wouldn't expect them to do another transfer less than a year later. The only problem I can remember on the dvd video presentation was some EE, which can be corrected without doing a new video transfer.

Crawdaddy

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The packaging on this release is such that it just bundles the previously available DVD with the new bonus disc in one awkward, shrinkwrapped package.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^^ The EE is actually added by post-processing of the original digital transfer from film. The details are over my head, but there have been some good rather technical posts here of just why and how. You might check out some of the threads re Robert Harris' Digital Bits column here.

The "3-Disc Gift Set" even says that the 2-disc POTC is the same i.e. "the original". It sure looks the same from the package. This is a not bad deal if you haven't already got the 2-disc IMO.

Yes, this type of packaging is awkward, but I sure prefer it to those SW'ed back-to-back...at least I can see what I'm getting on the discs this way.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i would hardly call the transfer of the current dvd "beautiful" - it has way too much edge enhancement, an offensive amount in fact. small amounts of EE don't bother me, this dvd has a LARGE amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks