What's new

pioneer VSX-84TXSi worth buying ??? (1 Viewer)

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
just wondering as my knowledge on receivers and there capabilities is limited, is this receiver worth the pre owned price of $500.

i may have the chance to get it at that price locally looks mint .

i need hdmi for both my blu ray and hd dvd , display also ...and clearly want the tru hd/dts master sound....

i see the retail price, but is it up to date in functions etc .......

greatly appreciate any input you guys have .

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
The receiver is HDMI v1.1, so you will have to send the audio via PCM from your Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player to it. If your players can't process the audio formats internally and send them out via PCM then you won't get them on the receiver. It is a good price for that receiver though. Check this thread to see if your Blu-Ray player can process the formats you want internally. BD Player Audio Support Comparison - AVS Forum

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

I own this unit and it is actually HDMI 1.2 as stated in the notes section on the bottom of page 50. I have been passing 1080p material with no problems and the back channels are awesome on this thing.The unit playes like a champ however; I am just getting around to sending it in for the HDMI firmware update to correct the low LFE issues. Based on user feedback on AVS this corrects the issue. $500 is a good price if the update has been done. I would check with the owner to verify that the update has taken place and get them to take a picture of the display showing the current firrmware. On another note, if your Blue Ray player can decode the formats, the 84 will pass them. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread