Pioneer vsx-74txvi

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Corey-Reid, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Corey-Reid

Corey-Reid Stunt Coordinator

Just ordered the new pioneer elite 74txvi yesterday, will be in on Thursday. This is replacing a Yamaha rxv-2090.
    I cant wit to get this thing in and see what it sonuds like.

Ill post my impressions shortly after I get it.

2. Corey-Reid

Well I got the Pionner up and running.
    I am no expert in home audio, so keep that in mind.

I was able to get through the setup procedure with the new MCACC pretty easy. I have an energy es10 sub, and the MCACC flashed a screen that said the sub was to loud and to turn it down. Once I got it to the acceptable level for the auto calibration, it was wayyyyyy too low IMO.

I have a Boston vr10 center, Boston cr6s in the rear and a set of Kenwood 3 ways with 2 12 in woofers in them for the mains. I literally could not tell I had a sub withthe level it was set at.

Speakers were set at large fronts, and small for all others. With my old setup, the subs input gain was at about 3 or 4, It is now up to 7 or 8, cant remember. If I left it at 5 and played my AC/dc live at donnington in 5.1, I couldnt even here any real bass in the music.

After going to the manual speaker setup, I set the sub at -40db from the -60db it was at. That was much more to my liking.

In my master plan, new speakers were always at the top of my list, that just changed after listening to the Pioneer.

My Kenwoods sound like a new set of speakers. Im assuming this is due to the MCACC, but it now sounds as if I also just added new speakers to my system.

I popped in the Matrix and watched about the first 25 minutes and (Ive heard this before and always rolled my eyes) I heard things I had never noticed before. In the opening scenes of the movie, Trinity is being chased over some rooftops by a few Agenst and local cops. They run across some tin roof and I was amazed at how the sounds of their steps on that tin just grabbed my attention. I love this movie, seen it dozens of times, and I never noticed this before, or it never got my attention.

Listening to AC/DC in 5.1 was great. I listen at LOUD volumes, and I had the volume up to 0 and the sound was crystal clear and could have gone much more. Those that are worried about lower power levels on this receiver have no need to worry.

Connected my kids Ipod and that was a simple task. Onscreen display makes getting what you want out of the Ipod simple.

Got mine from BB, got them to give 10%off, and then when it was being rung up, the lady at the register gives me a $100.00 BB gift card, I had no idea that was coming. So I basically got 250 bucks back from the MSRP.

I am pretty darn happy at this point.

3. PhilCo

PhilCo Stunt Coordinator

Test Bench: Pioneer VSX-74TXVi receiver

BY DANIEL KUMIN
    October 2005

DOLBY DIGITAL PERFORMANCE
    All data were obtained from various test DVDs using 16-bit dithered test signals, which set limits on measured distorting and noise performance. Reference input level is –20 dBFS, and reference output is 1 watt into 8 ohms. Volume setting for reference level was –8. All level trims at zero, except for subwoofer-related tests, all speakers were set to “large,” subwoofer on. All are worst-case figures where applicable.
    Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)
    1 channel driven: 172/296 W (22.4/24.7 dBW)*
    5 channels driven (8 ohms): 61 W (17.9 dBW)*
    6 channels driven (8 ohms): 52 W (17.1 dBW)*
    Distortion at 1 watt (THD+N, 1 kHz)
    8/4 ohms: 0.04/0.05%
    Noise level (A-wtd): –74.9 dB
    Excess noise (with sine tone)
    16-bit (EN16): +1.4 dB
    Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +0, –0.3 dB
    * Speaker-impedance setup switch set to 8-ohm position.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Crash ... and burn.

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Is that a bad thing?

How would my Harman Kardon 635 compare?

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

At avsforum, there's a thread on the 74's capacitors

8. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Wow, I am liking my Harman Kardon more and more every day!

9. Corey-Reid

I used an SPL from Radio shack set up at 12 feet from the center speaker and while listening to the DTS track of Clapton's "One Car, One Rider dvd, the spl meter hit 104 decibals on "Cocaine," with the volume at "0" on the 74txvi. Those test results dont mean squat to me. I go by my ears, and the sound is clean, and the power is not lacking.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I'll agree with you - that the end result is all that counts. If you're happy with the sound and the power, then all is well.

What I do find disturbing, though, is how Pioneer slipped this one out. They had lots of great press with their previous years' and the Elite product. Not to forget, how well the 1014 and 1015 have been doing. Now, they release the 74 and advertise it as producing more power, etc. While the price did go down slightly ($200) I still feel they have a lot of nerve doing what they did.

For years, Yamaha has been producing great receivers - but, their performance (output wise) has never lived up to the rated specs. However, Yamaha receivers can usually be picked up for a song (no pun intended.) :b

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Corey

I am happy that you are happy. Your Kenwood main speakers are probably very efficient with those 2 12 inch woofs in each one. With the advanced MCACC, the 74 can give you a really good FR.

The 74 can last you a good while. If you ever feel the need for more power: for example,if you were to change to speakers that are difficult to drive, you could always pick up some separate amplification without spending a lot.

Enjoy

12. Corey-Reid

this was posted by a Pioneer Rep over in the Avs forum in regards to the amps sections on the 74 and 72. May explain to some of you why the amps didnt test well.

I have already said I dont care about the test, my ears tell me the amps arent a problem.

Hey Everyone, I am still here, just been out of the office. I was at Cedia all week and this week I am attending an HDMI plugfest in San Jose (Oh Lucky Me!!!!!).

Also, I have read the comments regarding the amplifiers in the 74 and 72. I was just as concerned as everyone else, however I have been assured that the amps are actually more powerful then ones put on our past receivers. Apparently, we have a special limiter circuit (Don't think limiter is a bad thing), that monitors to see if more than three channels are seeing the same sine wave. If so then a limiter kicks in (Which does not happen with movies or music). I am working with Japan and Sound and Vision on figuring out a different way of measuring the multi-channel power output. I am told this is a new UL testing requirement. I will keep everyone posted.

I recently put a 74 in my house and am driving a full set of Vandersteens. I can honestly tell you (In my biased opinion) it sounds great. And the amps seem very powerful... (Not marketing fluff).

I should be back on answering questions on Thursday night.

Chris Walker

13. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

I'd be extremely surprised if Pioneer did anything to their prestigious Elite line to decrease the overall reputation of the product set. Detuning or downgrading power amplifiers would be a huge no-no for the design team of this unit.

Without seeing 2nd extensive test data from multiple sources I'd be willing to believe that the power ratings of this Pioneer are at or better than the published specs.

I'm sure we'll see more testing and opinions come out on this unit as more and more get installed. In the mean time Corey-Reid enjoy your new system. I'm guessing you are a future candidate for a whole bunch of new and shiny gear to surround that sweet sounding and looking jewel of a receiver.

14. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It's a bit disappointing that accurate measurements can't be had...

Curse that Underwriter's Laboratory!