What's new

Pioneer VSX-40 and Wii Connectivity (1 Viewer)

JAG74

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hey everyone...
I purchased a Pioneer VSX-40 back in Feb 2012. This is how it is currently set up.
DirecTV HD DVR is on HDMI Input - DVD
Comcast HD DVR is on HDMI Input - DVR/BDR
PS3 is on HDMI Input - BD
Now when I want to watch let's say my DirecTV, I first turn on the DTV Box, then my Samsung Plasma and then the Pioneer VSX-40. If I was watching the DTV Box earlier in the day and then turned it off, the VSX-40 just defaulted to the last input.In this case it would be the DVD HDMI Input.
So this is where I am running into some confusion and hope someone can help. My wife wanted a Wii so I went out and bought one. I have it connected to the back of the receiver using COMPONENT cables. The Wii is on the DVD COMPONENT INPUT. I then have a Component cable going to the rear of my TV. The Wii works fine, audio and video are good to go.
The problem I am having is when I turn the VSX-40 on now, it defaults to the Wii input setting on the VSX-40 now, rather than the last input I was using. So if I was watching my DirecTV box on input DVD on the VSX-40 and then shut my entire system down, when I turn everything back on it normally defaulted back to the DVD Input.
It now defaults to the Wii Input no matter what input I was previously using. Is there something that I am missing here? I even tried to use the DVR/BDR Component input to see if that made a difference but no dice.
I don't see anything about connecting a Wii anywhere in the VSX-40 manual or online. Any help is appreciated... Do I have to use different HDMI inputs for my other devices? Maybe there is a conflicting issue that I don't see.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Thanks!!
Jeff

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'm not familiar with Pioneer receivers, but if it works as you'd expect with HDMI-only devices, then the simplest thing may be to get one of the component to HDMI adapters that can be used with the Wii (see a bunch here).

A quick check shows that your receiver has one more HDMI input, so this should work.

Other than that, you should scour the manual to see if there's any mention of default inputs and whether analog/HDMI gets preference.

JAG74

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hey thanks for the reply. I never considered an adapter quite honestly. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I figured out the issue last night after talking to someone from Pioneer. In the main menu of the receiver there is a setting for ARC (Audio Return Channel) and HDMI Control. Those were set to "ON". Because the Wii does not use HDMI I confused the receiver into thinking the Wii was an HDMI device. I still don't get why if the Wii is powered off, but that is what it was. I turned off the ARC feature and HDMI feature off and everything is back to normal.
Thank you for your help though...
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks