Pioneer VSX-1014-S Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve>JF, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Steve>JF

Steve>JF Agent

I have the ability to purchase a brand new Pioneer VSX-1014-S receiver for $199 shipping free, no tax. I know it is not the latest model (there is a VSX-1015), but the price seems pretty good. It will be used mostly for home theater, not music. I'm comparing it to the Yamaha HTR-5850 I can get for $299. The Yamaha is XM radio ready, but I am not interested in XM radio. Should I get the Pioneer, or pay a little more for Yamaha or something else? Thanks for the advice in advance!

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I have a 1014 and while it didn't quite live up to all the hype (how could it), it's still a nice avr, especially at $199. Pro's: Lots of features, good build quality, adequate power output and a nice remote. Con's: not very "musical", video up-conversion produced noticable lines on the screen, MCACC came up with some strange numbers, not as powerful as expected (but powerful enough), no 8 channel input button on the remote (man am I lazy). The right/front channel was also a little less powerful than the left. If music was your main focus I'd say look elsewhere, though the "Advanced Music" mode helps. For a movie based setup, the 1014 is a very good in-expensive choice. Sorry, but I've yet to spend any quality time with a Yamaha, but I'm sure someone who has will chime in.

3. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I have the yamaha RX-V630 and Pioneer 1014. The yamaha is much better with music and, IMHO, better with movies. The pioneer did do a better job with TV (go figure!). At $199, I might still consider the pioneer if it were mainly for movies.

4. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

At that price it is a no-brainer. In fact, let me know if you don't buy it and I will..

5. Steve>JF

Steve>JF Agent

Thanks for the help, all. I thonk I'm going to get the Pioneer. I can't pass it up at the price, even if I find it really isn't that good of a receiver.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It used to be very popular on these forums. A passing fad?

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Apparently so. But when it first came out it offered allot of features at a very good price. Then other brands finally got around to offering comparable models for about the same money. Add to that expectations that were a bit out of line with reality, and a sound only it's mother could love (calm down, I'm only kidding. Man I'm going to get allot of hate mail for that one :b ) and the 1014/1015 has become the forgotten step-child. Still, there's allot to like about them. And $199 is a very good price indeed.