What's new

Pioneer VSX-1014 and 52TX (1 Viewer)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
While most here know they are the same receivers, some here claimed that the 1014 was actually an Elite. While at a dealer today, I was told that instead of the Pioneer 1014 being the Elite, the 52TX was actually a Pioneer under the Elite label.
It made sense because the chasis and the body styling of the 52TX is smaller than the other Elites and the input selecter functions, i.e. DVD, VCR, etc. are the same as in the other Pioneer non Elites.
He did however say that the 1014 was a pretty decent receiver but this has gotten me thinking all over again.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There have been crossover models in the past. The Pioneer Elite VSX-41 was simply a rebadged Pioneer VSX-D811S. The 1014TX is, however, much more in line with the rest of the Elite line. While the 1014TX and 52TX may not be on the same chasis as the 54TX/56TXi it is definitely a step above the rest of the standard Pioneer line. Elite dealers will say alot to push the Elite line and try to differentiate the line (or part of the line) from standard Pioneer because the proffit margin on Elite items is much larger. A good indicator of the quality of a receiver, especially it's amplification, is its weight. The 1014TX and 52TX weigh around 35lb, only a few lb lighter than the 54TX but a full 12lb heavier than the Pioneer 914.

NickSP

Supporting Actor

He was actually trying to save me money by telling me to buy the 1014 instead. He said the "real" Elite line begins after the 52TX and that the 52TX is not a true Elite receiver but only an Elite in name.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The weight differential is what really tells you that the 1014TXand the 52TX are closer to being a true elite than the opposite. The 52TX is definitely a lower price point than prior true elite models but it's still much more potent than the standard pioneer line (excluding the 1014TX). Whenever there are crossovermodels there is going to be speculation on which belongs where, but I think it's pretty obvious that the 1014TX and 52TX are much more capable than the standard Pioneer line. The fact that my 1014TX was no step down in amp power from my Elite 43TX and a notable step because of features tells me that it (and the 52TX) are both elite level units.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
If you think the 1014 is an Elite then that's fine. I was just stating what the dealer told me without forcing me to buy the Elite. He did not even have the 1014 on hand to sell me but was willing to suggest me a place where I could find one.
I look at the 1014 as the best Pioneer line receiver which is also being sold as an Elite to make some extra money for the company and that the true Elite line starts after the 52TX.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I would call the 52TX an entry level Elite. Think of the BMW 3-series..as opposed to the 5-series (54TX, 56TXi) and the 7-series (59TXi).

You can think of the 1014TX as the Toyota Camry to the Lexus ES330...same engine..different pricing. In this analogy, the 54TX, 56TXi can be thought of as the Lexus GS330, while the 59TXi is the LS330. The rest of the regular Pioneer line (D514, D814 & D914) can be thought of as different levels of the Corolla.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you want to see a true Standard Pioneer in Elite dress look at the VSX-41. It was a rebadged VSX-D811S and very overpriced. The subsiquent 812, 814, 912, and 914 have all been derivatives of that same arcitecture. The 1014TX is a major departure from that chasis with 7 channels of discrete mosfet amplification (opposed to 6ch of hybrid amplification), THX certification, full Auto MCACC, component video upconversion, and PLIIx w/ full 7 channel implementation. All of these features as well as its weight and its shared chasis w/ the entry level Elite receiver make it CRY OUT that it's an Elite level item. This may be a big reason that Pioneer is no longer aknowledging it on their website and are saying it is limited to certain distributors. The fact that I was able to order my 1014TX through an ELITE ONLY brick and mortor store also says this is an Elite caliber unit (this is the first time they've ever been able to get a non-Elite item in). The 1014TX and 52TX are built in Malaysia in the same factory as the rest of the Elite line, not in China with the standard Pioneer line.

While it is a very good (for the consumer atleast) practice for your retailer to point you in the direction of the better value it is falicy to degrade the 1014TX and 52TX. While the 52TX may be the entry level Elite and may not share the same platform as the 54TX/56TXi it is still a true elite model in fit and in finish. The 1014TX comes along for the ride in being a true Elite performing unit.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
According to several e-tailers I've browsed around at, such as Etronics, the 1014 is listed as weighing only 19.2 lbs. I hope their info is wrong as I'm thinking of the 1014 over the 52-TX ($357 vs. $516). I can't seem to find the 1014 on Pioneer's web site. Can anyone confirm the weight of the 1014?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

That information is WAY wrong. When the 1014TX was first announced, some of the details included that 19.2 Lbs. notation. However, it has been confirmed by many Pioneer folks and posted in many of the audio forums that the mention of 19.2 Lbs. is completely wrong.

NickSP

Supporting Actor

Where in my posts did I say that the Elite dealer degraded either one of the receivers? He just gave me his opinion and as an Elite dealer, it came across as an honest opinion to me. I mean I am there with a keen interest in the 52TX and he honestly tells me what he thinks about the two receivers in question and that is fallacy?
If he, as an Elite dealer does not think the 52TX is an Elite then I see no reason why I can't see it that way. The 1014 is a fantastic receiver by his own account and lets leave it at that!
OTOH, if you want to think you got an Elite receiver for the price of a non Elite receiver then that's fine too. After all it all depends on how we percieve value.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
James and Wayne, thanks for the info. In the past, I have skipped over the Pioneer threads as the Pioneer brand was too "consumer" and the Elite brand too expensive. But the price/features of the 1014 might make it a good upgrade from my Onkyo HT-500 which is a great little entry receiver but sounds a little "harsh" with my new Polk RTi's. And James, I almost clicked on the "brochures" button at the Pio web site. Glad you did! Funny they don't list the 1014tx on the main page though. They stop it at the 914. :confused: Oh well. Thanks again.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Gene, I'm powering Polk RTi8s and a CSi3 center channel speaker with my Elite 54TX. The sound is not harsh at all and I've found that with the Polks, I really prefer to utilize the EQ adjustments that have been automatically made for me. Nothing but sweet sounds here. :)

NickSP

Supporting Actor

Are you seeking side by side pics of the 1014 and 52TX? Why? they are the same receivers and the question (for me) was if the 52TX is a true Elite and I conclude for myself that it is not. It is a fantastic receiver for the street price but it is not an elite. All Elites have the Dual 48bit Motorola processors and the Pioneers only have one and so does the 1014.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Dual motorola chips were added this year. Last years 53TX and 55TXi as well as the year before's 43TX and 45TX all had single motorola processors. The dual chip arcitechture simple hasn't trickled all the way down the elite line and was added to the upper level elites because they require it for more channels of EQ in MCACC.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I disagree about last years models. I have the Pioneer 2012K and that has the dual motorola processors and I believe the 2012K is last years model. The 47 and the 43 also had dual motorola processors.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I was incorrect about the 43, 45, 53, and 55 not having dual motorola processing, BUT the single motorola chip is a different and more powerful chip giving it the ability to do DPLIIx AND 5ch MCACC. The 54 and 56 require 2 of these chips to be able to do DPLIIx and 7ch MCACC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks