What's new

Pioneer Sonosub (1 Viewer)

Chris:-/OV

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys

I'm planning on building a sonosub but i am limited to certain woofers and won't be able to get Adire Audio subs at all unless there is someone who can bring one or two to South Africa :) (i will pay all customs, tax etc)

The brands i can get a hold of are all car audio subs so i will have to choose between one of them, they are JBL, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Lightning Audio, Kenwood, Kicker(too expensive here)

The subs i intend on using are 2 Pioneer 12" TS-W305DVC (dual 4 ohm) Carbon Fibre woofers with the following specs:
Nominal Power: 400w rms (max 800w)
Sensitivity: 89dB
FS : 33.9
Qms : 14,2
Qes : 0.379
Qts : 0.370
Vas : 1,79 cu.ft
Xmax : 0.37 inch

I know they don't go as low as subs available in the States but i have been using them for SPL comps and i'm getting 145dB out of them with 600w rms to each so they can take power. (They will probably only get about 110dB in a theater and i realise that).

I just want to know if it could work because the size of the sono tube doesn't matter, i can go as big as is required.

Your help will be greatly appreciated
BTW, very interesting and informative site
:emoji_thumbsup:

Stunt Coordinator
this must be wrong because when i play music in my car the sub can clearly be seen coming out atleast an inch at moderate levels

MikeGee

Second Unit
My friend made a sub for his home theatre using a Sony Xplod 12" speaker.. it sounded horrible. Honestly in my opinion if you wanted to build or just buy a cheap sub i'd save myself the time and just buy the cheap sub.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I googled the woofer and from the picture it certainly has a lot more suspension travel than 0.37"

It's a poly cone not a carbon fiber one. The dust cap and been printed to look like carbon fiber but it's not.

Use as many as you can afford to buy in a ported sub tuned to say 20Hz. They should be okay.

Stunt Coordinator
can u guys perhaps recommend a 15" car audio sub from eg. JBL that will do the job much better

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Since this isn't a car audio forum you'll have to do the research. Post the available drivers and their T/S parameters. We can provide suggestions as to the best option

Stunt Coordinator
u sure about those JBL's cos here in South Africa the Pioneers get much louder than the JBL's and handle a lot more power

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Just reporting what I see in WinISD. A couple of years ago, when this forum was hopping, the JBL surfaced new for $50 or so, and it wasn't too far behind the Adire Shiva, especially considering the price. Two of them in seperate 2 foot cabinets would likely sound very good.

I've never built one, so no, I'm not sure.

Stunt Coordinator
so you guys reckon the JBL's

i really want to shake stuff off the shelves so should 2 15" JBL's be fine?

Stunt Coordinator
sorry

here goes, i have a Denon 3802 receiver, B&W DM600 series speakers all round, A Hitachi "Illumina" projector and a Polk Audio 12" 450w subwoofer. My room measures 6 metres x 3 metres and the sub is not doing the job too well at the moment. It is a great sounding sub but i need more, MUCH more.

I don't care what size the sub enclosure is going to be and will be powering the subs with a PA amp that puts out 200w rms x 2

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Couple things. Isn't he going to be plagued with room nodes having one wall length exactly half of the other?

Also, with the setup you currently have, I think it would definitely be worth it to spend a little more money on a higher quality driver.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Ok a pair of 15"s should be fine. You'll have significantly more output than the single 12".

If you build a pair of ported tubes that will be a bit easier to move given the diameter. I use 20" tube with 15" drivers.

Here's a link to a ported sub I designed and built for a friend. It will give you some ideas for constructing yours. You won't be able to find the 6" flares so just use the closest pipe you can find to 6" diameter for the port itself

http://home.comcast.net/~audio-worx/...PetesTube.html

Stunt Coordinator
very nice subwoofer ThomasW

i know how to flare ports so a 6" flared port wont be a problem

as steve mentioned, yes i do have cancellation in the room with lower frequencies

@colinM - yes i can get only car audio drivers here, i have seen some eminescence drivers and a guy said he can get me Jamo replacement drivers but they will be pricey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks