What's new

Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX (1 Viewer)

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone using this receiver or have any opinions re: its value as a home theater A/V unit ? I like the theory behind the MCACC Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration because my room has cathedral ceiligs and hardwood floors.

sean f

Agent
I also would be interested on how this is working, as I recently purchased the vsx43tx for 499.00 and have about 20 days to return it and upgrade to the 53. I am wondering if its worth the extra 500.00 because from the specs the auto calibration seems to be the only difference.

David Judah

Screenwriter
The Elites have a very clean, detailed sound. The EQ with Air Studios Sound Tuning can really help plus you have two preset slots if you want to tweak the curve manually. The automatic set-up is very convenient and accurate as far as the levels and delays go although you might have to change the size of the speakers. The 53TX is a very good performer for its price.

DJ

David Judah

Screenwriter
Sean,

It can be deceiving by just comparing spec sheets. The 43TX and the 45TX were in the same model year and shared the same service manual. There are alot of extras under the hood that the 45 has that the 43 lacks and there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the two. The 53TX is basically a newer version of the 45TX with a newer version of MCACC than the 43, so I'd say if you have the extra cash, trade up. It is a better sounding receiver in addition to the other little extras you get along with it.

DJ

sean f

Agent
Thanks David

I think I will try and swing it, maybe even the 55tx if I can get a bit of a deal. The good thing is that they look basically identical so my wife will never know I upgraded.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh Sean, you are treading on dangerous ground when you try to fool the wife:) Good luck!

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
How long is the cable for the microphone set-up ? Can it be extended easily (cheaply) to about 40 feet if needed ?

GregorySB

Grip
I just bought a 53TX two days ago.

I had previously purchased a Harman Kardon AVR-630, but the HK had a nasty buzz/hiss in the front main channels. I returned the first 630 for a replacement 630, but it had the same problem, so I decided to try another manufacturer.

I haven't had much of a chance to set up the 53TX yet, but I think it's a keeper. The buzz I had with the HK 630 is not present. (Although I do have some hiss. I'll search for the source over the weekend).

I'll run the automatic MCACC calibration tonight (hopefully). I was going to do it last night, but my 16 month old son decided to go to bed early, and 80db pink noise wouldn't go over too well with him or my wife when he's sleeping.

I'll try to post some thoughts this weekend after I've calibrated and have had a chance to do some critical listenting.

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the guts of all 4 Elites (43tx, 53tx, 45tx, 55txi) are essentially the same. I doubt you'll hear a difference in sound between any conecctions except using the i.link from the 55txi. The 53tx offers the same MCACC as the 45tx and 55txi, so it 'can' improve the sound over the 43tx, but if set up well the 43tx is the same. In fact the auto MCACC is really the only step up from the 43tx offered by the 53tx in my opinion. (Scratch that if the 53tx has more connectors on back.)

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
You'll be very happy with the newer elites. The 45tx has been tested at 138WX5!! Nice amps for a receiver in this range! Beautiful build and features. MCACC is great, the mic cable is about 15-18 feet and usis a mini-phono plug (like a portable headphone) and should be easy to extend.

I really love my 53tx, one complaint that I make sure people are aware of is that it only has 2 toslink and 2 digital coax inputs in the back, at least they are independant and fully reconfigurable, but only 4 rear digital ins is the lowpoint.

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
Good point Paul. I have already used my two optical ins and now need to restrict myself to buying further HT pieces with Coax. Not huge as most brands are now aware of providing both a coax and optical now a days...but my current DVD and CD player only had optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks